Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

On 20 Jan, 13:05, Baron <baron.nos...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Roger wrote:
On Jan 19, 6:07 pm, David Bolt <blacklist...@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Roger wrote:-
I've now opened the case and unplugged both drives. I then re-
connected the Phillips DVD Writer drive on it's own and the system
recognizes it. So the unit itself is working. I shut down the system
and re-connected the Samsung as well. On re-boot, the system only
recognizes the Samsung!

Have you checked to see that they aren't both set to be master or
slave? Is one set to be cable select and the other either master or
slave? If possible, try swapping their positions on the IDE cable. I
found that one of my DVD writers drives won't be detected if it's set
to slave and not on the last connector.

I've replaced the cable, no difference. I've switched their respective
positions, no difference. I've no idea if the jumpers are set on
either of them for master/slave, I was under the impression that the
OS sorted things out itself these days.. I'll have to google for the
specs for them to work out what the jumper settings should be. However
this is definitely a change due to 10.3 as they both worked under 10.0

Thanks for all your help so far.

Regards
Roger

The jumper assignments are marked on the drive case !

Oh, if it were that simple .... they aren't

Regards
Roger
.