Re: 10.3 Upgrade Woes

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Roger wrote:-

I've now removed the drives and you are quite correct, the markings
are stamped. They're both currently set to Cable Select. Before I set
them to master & slave respectivley, can someone refresh my memory
about which one attaches to the end connector and which one attaches
to the middle connector on the IDE cable. It's been a long time since
I've done this.

The master usually[0] goes at the end of the cable, and the slave on the
other connector.

[0] I say usually, because I have a couple of systems with DVD drives
that are set as slaves and neither have a master on that cable. To
prevent signal reflections[1], they are connected to the end of the
cable.

[1] Not a big problem with IDE, but I was used to using SCSI devices and
the SCSI bus had to be terminated properly or it did cause problems.

Regards,
David Bolt

SUSE 10.1 32bit | openSUSE 10.2 32bit | openSUSE 10.3 32bit | openSUSE 11.0a1

  • Re: Upper Lower Filters in XP Registry
    ... I'd just switch the middle and end connectors (moving the drives ... currently have jumpered as Slave should be that way - some drives cannot ... support being a master. ... > the drive to the slave CD and the top connector to the master DVD. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.registry)
  • RE: Seagate HD not detected by FreeBSD
    ... > master, slave ... SINGLE drive on the bus MUST BE connected to the BLACK end connector NOT ... are TWO DRIVES on the cable. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • RE: Seagate HD not detected by FreeBSD
    ... > master, slave ... SINGLE drive on the bus MUST BE connected to the BLACK end connector NOT ... are TWO DRIVES on the cable. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Adding bigger hard drive
    ... Slave in the middle. ... Cable select assigns the master ID to the end ... "Connector Assignments and Color Coding: ... And you are also correct in having the drives as masters and the cds as ...
    (uk.comp.homebuilt)
  • RE: DVD and CD Writer
    ... > resetting the jumper on the drives to the master and slave configuration. ... But some drives are not that clear. ... a jumper is a little connector that goes over two pins on the ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)