New video card

With all this talk about new hardware, one of my screens decided to kill
itself. My choice is between buying a new 20" 1600x1200 or right away go
for 2 x 24". The first is obvious cheaper. The second is twice the
price. (Yeah, 24" is the price of a 20")

However I would then also need to buy a new video card and obviously I
would like to be able to use it with openSUSE.

Now I run all in 2-d and am happy. However if I would decide to buy a
new card, I would want it to be able to run 3D as well. It also needs to
have the ability to steer two 1920x1200 screens.

In another group somebody sugested a GigaByte GeForce 7600GS¹ or a MSI
GeForce 7600 GT.

So any sugestions (or any other to be able to run it with what openSUSE
has to offer? The choice is so big, I would have no idea where to start.
Oh yeah, it has to be AGP (isn't that what was the latest for video
cards a few years ago?)

Are there brands I shouls NOT buy, because they give me trouble?

¹http://tinyurl.com/23gouc
²http://tinyurl.com/ywbwdu
Do not worry about the store. This is mere to see what is available.

houghi
--
________________________ Open your eyes, open your mind
| proud like a god don't pretend to be blind
| trapped in yourself, break out instead
http://openSUSE.org | beat the machine that works in your head

  • Re: Soundblaster X-Fi
    ... and the X-Fi is a very good gaming card for its price-point. ... To that effect, though I appreciate and respect your views, I would like someone who's actually had experiences getting this card working on an OpenSUSE 11 installation to tell their story and point me in the right direction. ... It's kind of ridiculous to have to run two sound cards on my box when I already have a perfectly good one in there that suits my needs ideally. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: how to find/load Linux drivers for Intel motherboards?
    ... I bought a Dual Core Intel based PC with Windows ... I re-formatted the hard disk with OpenSUSE version 11. ... I also notice the NIC card ... you are new to Linux. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] Video card removal/upgrade process
    ... video card for the OpenSUSE system. ... Assuming no problems between sax2 and your hardware, ...
    (SuSE)
  • [opensuse] Successful install of OpenSuSE on Elitegroup nForce n430 based motherboard with MCP61 ch
    ... I have successfully installed OpenSuSE 11 on PC built from various component parts. ... In addition to the specification below, a second network card, a firewire card and a Nvidia GeForce 8500 graphics card was added. ... The media on which the DVD iso was download was mounted using grub using the instructions on OpenSuSE's web site on to install without a CD from a local hard drive, which in this case was a USB drive recognized on boot. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Wireless Card
    ... I have recently installed OpenSuse 10.2 and as I expected I have ... problem with my wireless card, however OpenSuse has act more efficient ... It actually detects my card but I can not connect ... you have to install the kernel-source ...
    (SuSE)