Re: Dumb question of the week.

marksouth <ms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 04:02:21 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:

Let me give you (and them) an example. Say I want to run "ifconfig" to
check on something with my network connection. You cannot run that as a
normal user because it will not be found by a normal user's search path.

/sbin/ifconfig works as a normal user under nearly every distro I've ever
used :-)

How did you know it was in /sbin?

No wonder newbies don't stick around here long. Between the
insults and the obfuscated answers they get nowhere.

--
--- Paul J. Gans

  • Re: Dumb question of the week.
    ... Paul J Gans wrote: ... check on something with my network connection. ... normal user because it will not be found by a normal user's search path. ... You are standing at the end of a road before a small brick building. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Dumb question of the week.
    ... houghi wrote: ... check on something with my network connection. ... normal user because it will not be found by a normal user's search path. ... --- Paul J. Gans ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Dumb question of the week.
    ... houghi wrote: ... check on something with my network connection. ... normal user because it will not be found by a normal user's search path. ... By doing `pin bin/ifconfig`. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Dumb question of the week.
    ... check on something with my network connection. ... normal user because it will not be found by a normal user's search path. ... /sbin/ifconfig works as a normal user under nearly every distro I've ever ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)