Re: Flushing memory

houghi wrote:
Blattus Slafaly 0/00 ? ? ? wrote:
When I boot up I have about 500 meg free memory. After some browsing and mail/news reading openening and closing browsers I end up with about 47k free after closing everything. Is there a way to flush out the memory without rebooting? Something about Firefox and Thunderbird don't clean up after they shutdown.

And what is the problem with that? The fact that there is something in
memory doesn't mean anything. You bought and payed for the memory, so
use it. The fact that things are still there afterwards is a good
thing.

If the memory is nedded for something else, it will clean it. If not
then not.

houghi

Well that's not entirely true. As I ran more and more things I noticed that the free memory stayed low and the system began using swap memory instead of cleaning out the ram. That can slow things down. I suppose it depends on how smart the program is as to what memory cleaning it will do.

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

  • Re: Swap test?
    ... houghi wrote: ... > memory is used and I ave enough of it. ... > swaf file. ... > The test-cd also did nor realy had a test for Linux swap. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Flushing memory
    ... mail/news reading openening and closing browsers I end up with about 47k ... Is there a way to flush out the memory ... If the memory is nedded for something else, it will clean it. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Ping Segmentation Fault SuSE 10.1
    ... Do a memory check. ... Theologians can pursuade themselves of anything. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Flushing memory
    ... that the free memory stayed low and the system began using swap memory ... If you flush memory all the time, ... situations (the extremely odd situation as an obvious exception) ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Swap test?
    ... > houghi wrote: ... >> I have looked and have never ever seen my swap used. ... >> memory is used and I ave enough of it. ... How do you ask a man to be the last man to die in Iraq? ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)