Re: 10.2 - Yast2 Software sources

E wrote:

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 10:12:38 -0500, Rajko M. wrote:

E wrote:

So off I go to read up on apt-get.

1) Disable automatic update via updater applet in system tray.

I have the openSuse updater still running in the system tray. I'll disable
that.

It takes forever on broadband. On dialup I can't imagine.

2) Use Smart package manager instead of apt. I don't know is there any
maintained repository for apt-get.
http://en.opensuse.org/Smart

I've skimmed over this subject (Smart) a few times searching for solutions
to my Yast2 problem. I'll take a look at that. When Yast2 works, with its
ability to resolve dependencies, it works well. I think it will work if I
remove the patch URL from Installation Sources.

Just try Smart for now. As long as you use few official repositories and
watch what Smart is trying to do, it should be fine. The official
repositories are located under /distribution and /update for corresponding
versions. You probably want to try Smart from Guru/Packman repositories as
rpm comes with repositories already configured ie. it should work out of
the box.

The problems seems to be finally solved with 11.0 and few developers are
trying to backport the newest zypper to older distribution versions. This
is last status:
http://lists.opensuse.org/zypp-devel/2008-03/msg00042.html

That's good news! I'm not giving up on Suse, and will be looking forward
to 11.0. Not to take anything away from Slackware (I want to put it on
another box) it has its advantages, but I have gotten more things working,
and easier with openSuse 10.2 than Slackware 10.1 at least.

The same here. I have no problem to understand and manage Slackware or
Gentoo, it is just the RTM thing, but it is just more time left for other
stuff with openSUSE.

Taking your experience with Slackware you can feel fine even with Alpha 3
software, though dialup doesn't help with iso download, and later with
update to Factory.

--
Regards, Rajko.
See http://en.opensuse.org/Portal

  • Re: [opensuse] Wiki page:[upgrade] merged and complete:review needed
    ... Now the page of openSUSE wiki is completed and has been merged with ... As the wiki instructions indicate, I added the OSS and non-OSS ... disabled several of my previous repositories prior to upgrading. ... it calls for removing all previous repos. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Im still a little confused about "openSUSE BuildService"
    ... included the term "openSUSE BuildService". ... a collection of source code repositories. ... All kind of Open Source Software. ... ball, spec, package change log, and depending on the package somethimes ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] Smart problem: Guru and Packman are reporting corruption?
    ... packaging is done by OpenSUSE community not from smart-project ... it's working with all other repositories, ... Here is the errors I get on one of the computers ... error: Failed to download packages: ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Software Installer
    ... In openSUSE case carefully tested is only update repository that is ... That is not always the case with additional repositories ... those repositories in case that YaST reports dependency problems, ... should be used for single package installation, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Distribution =?UTF-8?B?ZsO8cg==?= Rechner von "Linux-Newbie"?
    ... selber nutze schon lange Slackware und habe das bisher auch schon einige ... Heute habe ich auf dem System meines Vaters den Upgrade von 13.1 auf 13.37 ... Also nix für Papa, openSUSE wäre da schon eher was, weil sich alles per ... Riesiger Softwarepool, seit Jahren auf KDE ...
    (de.comp.os.unix.linux.misc)