Re: Internet Explorer emulator?

Vahis wrote:

On 2008-05-06, Darrell Stec <darrell_stec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Vahis wrote:

On 2008-05-05, Darrell Stec <darrell_stec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Vahis wrote:

On 2008-05-05, Riberto <riberto@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I have been a Suse Linux user for several years now.
Currently use OpenSuse 10.3 looking forward to 11.0

For work I HAVE to use that other stuff cause my Company uses some
programs written for that stuff and we ARE required to use it WITH
OUT messing with it!

Heck its their money so what can I say!!!

<snip>
Is there a program or a way to adjust any of these popular web
browsers to emulate Internet Explorer?
There are times I need to access these sites for WORK and hate to
switch over to the WRONG side of my laptop's partition.
<snip>
You can run IE in Linux with wine:
http://www.winehq.org/

Or you can run the whole windows in Linux with VMware.
I've made instructions to put it in openSUSE:

http://waxborg.servepics.com/english/linux/vmware.en.html

There's also VirtualBox, included in openSUSE which does the same
thing. I've been happy with VMware, so I've got no experience with the
latter.

I'd reckon just for the browser, use Wine :)

Vahis

But that requires that they purchase Winders.

This was a company in question who requires windows IE?
They don't want Linux?
So they phey pay?

And none of those virtual
machines will work with many modern computers because the manufacturers
do not provide Windows disks anymore.

None will work? Where did you get that from?

And sure windowses can be bought.

But that is the whole point. They already purchased Windows once with
the
machine, just like I did with mine. The purchase price was built in.
When there are no disks and only an all or nothing recovery partition
then
virtual machines are of no use. To use Windows they must purchase a
second copy on disk.

All or nothing? What are you talking about?

No, they don't need more licences.

So yes Windows can be purchased but with a VM it gets bought twice.

You don't know what you are talking about.

A great many of them have a restoration
partition that wipes out the harddrive and restores the computer to its
pristine, just bought condition. Even if the VM is free, it is going
to cause an outlay of cash for the Winders disks.

Virtual machine gives a disk image to the guest OS who takes it as a
disk. It also provides it with the rest of the virtual hardware.
The guest won't touch the rest of the disk. It does not even know
there's life outside this virtual machine.

But doesn't Windows have to be installed on the Linux partition or are
you saying that with a dual boot setup, a virtual machine talks to the
Windows partition from the Linux partition?

I didn't think that was the case.

You install a virtual machine on the host system and then you install a
guest operating system in that virtual machine.

For the host system the Virtual machine is a bunch of files and the guest
OS installed there thinks it's a real machine.

You are obviously confusing two completely different things here.
Dual boot has not been mentioned here before now at all.

Dual boot is one thing, virtual machine a totally different one.

Vahis

We are talking over each other. Apparently I do know what I am talking
about and you don't.

Take for instance my HP. When I bought it, WinXP was installed. There is a
recover partition (newer Vista machines have 3 partitions: Vista -- C:,
Data -- D:, and a recovery partition) but the computer comes with no
Windows disks. With my machines and many others I've worked on recently
you cannot fix a Windows OS using repair. The only option is to use the
recovery proceedure on the recovery partition that formats the entire C
drive and reinstalls the computer to its original pristine state.

Now if you have Linux and a virtual machine which I take it runs under
Linux, how can you install the Windows OS as one of those running under VM?
Remember, the recovery program reformats the hard drive and wipes out the
Linux too.

And remember you already paid for Windows when you bought the machine. You
don't get Windows disks. So if you are to run WinXP or Vista on that
computer you need the disks so you are paying AGAIN for Windows. I don't
know how to explain this any simpler than that. Perhaps you never worked
with such a computer. I don't know. Or perhaps your computer does not
wipe out the entire C: drive.
--
Later,
Darrell Stec darstec@xxxxxxxxxx

Webpage Sorcery
http://webpagesorcery.com
We Put the Magic in Your Webpages

  • Re: win 2000
    ... either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup disks. ... Then *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to specify additional drivers. ... Use the ARROW keys to select the partitions Press D to delete an existing partition, If you press D to delete an existing partition, you must then press L to confirm that you want to delete the partition. ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: Can I boot of an XP System disk, nested in a logical volume
    ... The boot partition contains the Windows operating system and its support files. ... Note On dynamic disks, this is known as the system volume. ... The boot volume must always keep the drive letter assigned to it when Windows was installed. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics)
  • Re: win2K installation
    ... I will have to make those disks as I only have the one CD. ... To do a clean install, either boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup ... existing partition, If you press D to delete an existing partition, you must ...
    (microsoft.public.win2000.general)
  • Re: How to beat activation
    ... I use Windows XP on a virtual machine (that's my normal machine but with virtual machine software installed - VMWare Workstation to be precise. ... The VM software is installed and then I create a separate partition on my hard drive and point the VM to install it's files for XP on that partition). ... One installed Windows XP is activated One I activated XP I then 'imaged' the VM drive using Acronis True Image. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Internet Explorer emulator?
    ... switch over to the WRONG side of my laptop's partition. ... This was a company in question who requires windows IE? ... Virtual machine gives a disk image to the guest OS who takes it as a disk. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)