Re: / /home on different partitions?

On Sat, 24 May 2008 01:24:29 +0200, houghi wrote:

The thing I still miss is where to place shared data. Obviously you can
place it anywhere you like, but it would be nice if there were a
standard on where to put shared data.

I have wondered the same thing and over the years looking after Solaris
and Linux systems have used /data and /space for this sort of thing. Now
I am starting to think that the fs standard is the way to go. So, without
there being a standard for group data, I figured that I would use /home
as it is already automounted.

To avoid collisions with users, I use uppercase names for the group
directories, and place symbolic links into the users home directories to
make it easier to browse using file managers. So user tomw may be a
member of wanops, so he has a link WANOPS in his $HOME pointing to /home/
WANOPS. When he opens a file manager he can navigate to WANOPS and see
the group data. The /home/WANOPS directory has the group sticky bit set
(chmod g+s) so that all files or directories created within the directory
inherit the group name (wanops) rather than the users groupname.

It's not perfect but it is usable.

Frank Ranner

  • Re: / /home on different partitions?
    ... When you ask people, the anwsers is "I ... me that is strange. ... Standard should be to remove the user. ... The ONLY thing I am talking about is a fixed place for the shared data, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: / /home on different partitions?
    ... The configuration files being the worst to me personally, but YMMV. ... be a good idea to have a default place offered for shared data. ... Very often I see that SUSE file hierarchy is different than others. ... So you agree that a standard is good. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: / /home on different partitions?
    ... standard on where to put shared data. ... specific user account for this dir, ... to where to put shared files. ... It would be nice to have a default by standard like ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: / /home on different partitions?
    ... IMHO there are many more standards missing in Linux hierarchy. ... The configuration files being the worst to me personally, but YMMV. ... be a good idea to have a default place offered for shared data. ... So you agree that a standard is good. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)