Re: / /home on different partitions?

On Sat, 24 May 2008 01:24:29 +0200, houghi wrote:

The thing I still miss is where to place shared data. Obviously you can
place it anywhere you like, but it would be nice if there were a
standard on where to put shared data.

I have wondered the same thing and over the years looking after Solaris
and Linux systems have used /data and /space for this sort of thing. Now
I am starting to think that the fs standard is the way to go. So, without
there being a standard for group data, I figured that I would use /home
as it is already automounted.

To avoid collisions with users, I use uppercase names for the group
directories, and place symbolic links into the users home directories to
make it easier to browse using file managers. So user tomw may be a
member of wanops, so he has a link WANOPS in his $HOME pointing to /home/
WANOPS. When he opens a file manager he can navigate to WANOPS and see
the group data. The /home/WANOPS directory has the group sticky bit set
(chmod g+s) so that all files or directories created within the directory
inherit the group name (wanops) rather than the users groupname.

It's not perfect but it is usable.

Frank Ranner
.