Re: openSUSE as a router, how to? Solved!

Vahis wrote:
On 2008-06-25, houghi <houghi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Vahis wrote:
The machines in the LAN do not use DHCP server. The whole LAN is
192.168.x.x fixed IP:s.

Even stranger.

I don't see anything strange there.

Fixed IP? Strange!

That's how I had mine while the ADSL modem did everything.

openSUSE can do that for you as well.

But now I have the ADSL modem bridging and my server has a new external NIC.
The LAN is like it used to be.

It now misses a DHCP server which you could install with YaST and
probably configure it there as well.

A nice new feature came along with this new configuration:
I can now browse my web server also by pointing to its external address.
Being on any machine, even the server itself :)

Why would that be different from before?

I also now have real-time Full HD stream of all free DVB-T channels and
I can record them on my ISP's server, I have 5 TB disk space there.

I am so jealous.

Plus video-on-demand rental of movies.

Not so much. Just use torrents. ;-)

I had to buy a new screen, 1920x1200 with speakers though, ? 299.

Pfft. I have two, yet two, 1920x1200 and also a 1600x1200 for wich I do
not have a connection at this moment.
I am looking into buying a new PC where I can connect 3 screens. Will
proably be a quadcore with 8GB in memory an 2 1TB HD's

The next thing is to put a DHCP server running.

Ah, now we are talking. ;-)

I'll make a new server with 11.0 for all this soon :)

Neat. Are you going extremely small (like 486 with almost nothing, just
2 network cards and a small HD) or extremely large and fast?

houghi
--
The whole principle [of censorship] is wrong. It's like demanding that
grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't have steak.

  • Re: openSUSE as a router, how to? Solved!
    ... I don't see anything strange there. ... What's so strange about fixed addresses in a LAN? ... I can now browse my web server also by pointing to its external address. ... I am looking into buying a new PC where I can connect 3 screens. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE amd64 hangs
    ... I am experiencing a strange issue that has never occurred to me in all the ... on the same server and I am pretty ... Of course my idea about it is that it must be connected to some hardware ... reboot again running smoothly and without any issues at all. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: strange problem \ip do not work \hostname works!
    ... Mathieu than you for your reply, ... The problem is very strange because I can access the resource by name but ... So I can resolve the netbios name, Actually I have four servers in the same ... server by IP, It doesn't work, It continously prompt user validation. ...
  • Re: Unrecognized IP Addresses before the site could go live!!!
    ... You see "strange IP addresses" in the w3svc logfiles. ... webserver, so why is it strange to see outside IPs ... Microsoft MVP (Windows Server System: Security) ...
  • Re: ARP Table wierdness
    ... On November 13, 2003 03:36 am, Enrico Payne wrote: ... > have noticed a strange thing over the last few days. ... > ping, but it has an incomplete address. ... > and other machines can ping the server no problem. ...
    (RedHat)