Re: Some issues with the way the install goes

Paul J Gans wrote:
I agree. It is the Ubuntu method. It isn't totally windows-like.
You still have to do a "sudo" to become root, even if it is the
same password.

I disagree. With Ununtu there is no login for root by default. Here the
password is just the same. Someting the majority of people where doing
anyway.

However, since Ubuntu became popular, everybody knows this technique.
So if your security is compromised as a user and somebody gains your
password, it is the first thing they'll try to get root.

If your security is compromised as a user, your machine is compromised
anyway,

A bad choice. I don't know what they were thinking.

They were thinking: the majority of people use the same password anyway,
so why would we let them enter it twice? People who are not willing to
do that can still change it.

houghi
--
You tried, and you failed, so the lesson is, never try. - Homer J. Simpson.

  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Subject: Linux hacked ... After you boot up into the OS running from CD, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: Screensaver takes too much time to fade-out...
    ... If you are serious about making your machine secure, ... learn a thing or two about security. ... These logs are mailed to the root user at 3am. ... Setup dovecot and use a local email client to fetch it. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Linux hacked
    ... is to boot your system with a separate ... You can't trust the logs, ... >> First let me say I'm a security novice. ... >> been unsuccessful in getting root back. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • RE: Linux hacked
    ... Also, what exactly did the history file show, can you paste it into a mail ... > First let me say I'm a security novice. ... > been unsuccessful in getting root back. ... > via ssh but you could su in once logged in as one of three users. ...
    (Security-Basics)
  • Re: [security bulletin] HPSBTU02211 SSRT071326 rev.1 - HP Tru64 UNIX Running the dop command, Lo
    ... HP Software Security Response Team ... UNIX Operating System running the dop command. ... privileges of the root user. ... echo "HP Security bulletin code identification: ...
    (Bugtraq)