Suse 11, KDE 3.5.9 - USB plugin not working correctly

Hi

I installed Suse 11 off a DVD that had only KDE 4 (which I've binned)
and I installed 3.5.9 over the net. Everything works ok except when I
plug in a USB stick (or camera) I get the following error when it
brings up the file viewer:

hal-storage-mount-removable no <-- (action, result)

The exact same error occured with suse 10.3 and the solution was to
edit /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf but that fix doesn't seem to work
this time.

Has anyone else come across this? (USB worked ok under KDE4 and its
not a core OS problem as I can mount the devices manually from the
command line)

Thanks for any help

B2003