Re: Command line to GUI troubles...

Pete Puma wrote:
Using openSuse 11.0 & KDE, I logged out & into one of the other GUI managers (don't remember, it's been so long--
not gnome). This window manager is simply pitch black and I need to get back to KDE.

In command mode, I cannot start KDE

xset: unable to open display ''''
xprop: same thing
xsetroot: ditto

Where I think I have made another window-manager the default, I need to change that in a command line, but I am
running up against this limitation. None of my reference books are helpful.

I don't mind editing, but if you have a quick place for me to go to reintroduce KDE as the default again--I'd love to see
my mail today!

Quick solution:
[CTRL][ALT][F1]
Log in as root
init 3
init 5 && exit
Select KDE

Longer answer
[CTRL][ALT][F1]
Log in as root
init 3
yast
There you go (User [TAB] to go from one place to another) to System,
/etc/sysconfig Editor
In there you go to Dektop, Window Manager, DEFAULT_WM and set it to KDE
init 5 && exit

Even longer answer
[CTRL][ALT][F1]
Log in as root
init 3
edit /etc/sysconfig
run SuSEconfig
init 5 && exit

This all asuming that bot X and KDE are still working. If nothing
happens then the following:

Quick solution:
[CTRL][ALT][F1]
log in as *user*