Re: Command line to GUI troubles...

Pete Puma wrote:
Using openSuse 11.0 & KDE, I logged out & into one of the other GUI managers (don't remember, it's been so long--
not gnome). This window manager is simply pitch black and I need to get back to KDE.

In command mode, I cannot start KDE

xset: unable to open display ''''
xprop: same thing
xsetroot: ditto

Where I think I have made another window-manager the default, I need to change that in a command line, but I am
running up against this limitation. None of my reference books are helpful.

I don't mind editing, but if you have a quick place for me to go to reintroduce KDE as the default again--I'd love to see
my mail today!

Quick solution:
[CTRL][ALT][F1]
Log in as root
init 3
init 5 && exit
Select KDE

Longer answer
[CTRL][ALT][F1]
Log in as root
init 3
yast
There you go (User [TAB] to go from one place to another) to System,
/etc/sysconfig Editor
In there you go to Dektop, Window Manager, DEFAULT_WM and set it to KDE
init 5 && exit

Even longer answer
[CTRL][ALT][F1]
Log in as root
init 3
edit /etc/sysconfig
run SuSEconfig
init 5 && exit

This all asuming that bot X and KDE are still working. If nothing
happens then the following:

Quick solution:
[CTRL][ALT][F1]
log in as *user*
startx kde

And see what happens

houghi
| Artist : Pink Floyd
| Song : Waiting For The Worms
| Album : The Wall

  • Re: [SLE] SUSE93 - KDE gone?
    ... I've only ever used KDE. ... ASSUMING, you are not logging on automatically, exit the window manager ... as root, 'init 3'. ... 'init 5' and follow the same instructions above when the logon screen ...
    (SuSE)
  • Command line to GUI troubles...
    ... This window manager is simply pitch black and I need to get back to KDE. ... In command mode, I cannot start KDE ... xset: ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Cant switch to KDE
    ... that I have to restart X to make it happen. ... ctrl-alt-backspace (or I go to init 3 and then back to init 5). ... Was KDE working before this? ... I've never used switchdesk. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Command line to GUI troubles...
    ... In command mode, I cannot start KDE ... init 5 && exit ... In there you go to Dektop, Window Manager, DEFAULT_WM and set it to KDE ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: never empty trash bin
    ... Do an init 3 to stop X and KDE. ... root may now have those entries in its trash but now you now a way to get ... empty and no error is shown when I try to empty it. ...
    (SuSE)