Re: Need for new openSUSE users

On 2008-09-11 11:19, houghi wrote:
bb wrote:
But the thing that protect me most is the change of sshd_config:
PasswordAuthentication no

Please understand that what I proposed is NOT protection. It is to keep
logfiles cleaner. It won't protect you from anything.

I would sugesting that for ssh you start whitelisting, instead of
blacklisting. Also the countries you named are for this type just as
avarage as any other country.

These are attacks by sombies, not by dedicated machines. They can be
anywhere in the world.

For ssh security (and network security in general) you need other tools,
because this isn't about security.

Perhaps it is better to start a new thread about that.

houghi

ahhh, I did not read careful (again) :-)

ok, I can't use whitelisting since I have friends that use my machine
as tunnel and they move around a bit, but you are right, that should be best.

/bb

  • Re: Linking across a network
    ... On 17/08/2011 19:11, houghi wrote: ... Next see that the ssh port ... I name them "Waldorf and Staedler"¹ ... Install the NFS server where you ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: securing bash script
    ... houghi wrote: ... Avoid passing any user input to you bash command full stop, ... Itself a form of whitelisting. ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: hyper terminal
    ... houghi wrote: ... devices such as switch's and routers so as to configure them for use. ... The excellent ssh support is particularly useful when connecting to Internet ... Output certified Microsoft Free ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Greetings, new Suse User reporting in!
    ... houghi wrote: ... I'd like to set up ssh so that I can access my openSUSE machine ... To me it is clear that passwordless logins are NOT a good ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Greetings, new Suse User reporting in!
    ... houghi wrote: ... I'd like to set up ssh so that I can access my openSUSE machine ... SSH needs to be enabled in openSUSE. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)