Re: PERL Compiling Question

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 03:45:49 UTC, "PaulRS" <prschmi@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

[Note: this comes out of the flv to swf thread]

Once I download a Perl tar file
Extract it
Run 'perl Makefile.PL'
Run 'make'
Run 'make install' as root

(1) It installs on the local computer
(2) It leaves behind the original folder (directory) which was made
with the tar extraction along with all that was done in that folder
(the additional stuff) by 'perl Makefile.PL' and 'make'

My question:
Can this folder be copied to a second computer running the same SuSE
10.3 with the same home directory and then run 'make install' on it to
install this program on the second computer?

[I am trying to avoid repeating the whole process from an original
perl.tar download]

Paul

Even though some of the responses assumed 'laziness' - I did not tell
you that the final PERL program required 9 packages (dependencies) to
be installed including all the un-tar, cd to subdirectory,
Makefile.PL, make, make install . . . etc. This was the reason for my
question.

  • Re: attempt to build 64 bit on Solaris fails
    ... > libraries needed to link with a 64-bit Tk. ... We were running a 32-bit version of Perl ... > Each section below is a summary of the commands used to install it. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.tk)
  • Re: attempt to build 64 bit on Solaris fails
    ... libraries needed to link with a 64-bit Tk. ... We were running a 32-bit version of Perl ... Each section below is a summary of the commands used to install it. ...
    (comp.lang.perl.tk)
  • Perl on Linux and SQL Server 2000 on Windows
    ... There was a time when I did a lot of searching on ways to use Perl ... sitting on Linux to connect SQL Server 2000 sitting on Windows. ... cpan> install DBI ... Install FreeTDS ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • RE: Please Help !!! Unable to install DBD-Oracle ( I am using perl 5.6 on solaris 8)
    ... Ron, I could be way off here, but the OP mayalready have Perl ... think the original issue was that he tried to use *PPM* to install ... I don't have any Solaris ... you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender at Wipro ...
    (perl.dbi.users)
  • Re: Installing DBD::File via CPAN
    ... Do you use 'UNINST=1' in the build options for CPAN? ... >> Did you build Perl from source, or install via a RPM or binary distro? ... >>> sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, or notify us ...
    (perl.dbi.users)