Re: Opensuse 11 - turning

David Bolt <blacklist-me@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Paul J Gans wrote:-

<snip>

First thing I do is delete beagle and friends after a new install
-- that is once I get the machine back from the cycle-stealing
werewolf of a program.

Not installing it initially means not having it ever stealing processor
cycles. It only takes a couple of minutes at the beginning of the
install, and means there's no residue left behind[0], unlike if you kill
it after it gets started.

[0] There's ${HOME}/.beagle for starters and probably other locations
left behind as well.

I've tried that. But there are some other programs involved
with Beagle that are left behind. At the first update, yast
notes that a dependency, Beagle, is missing, and reinstalls
it.

So I remove it after install. The removal causes the updater
to scream about the remaining dependencies, which I can then
identify and remove.

It only takes a few minutes to do this.

--
--- Paul J. Gans

  • Re: Clock applet is more expensive than other clocks!
    ... I don't use Evolution - I don't want Evolution - but I have to install ... The FC5 RPM has Evolution as a dependency for Beagle, ... maintainer would eliminate the dependency so that I could install Beagle ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Clock applet is more expensive than other clocks!
    ... I don't use Evolution - I don't want Evolution - but I have to install ... The FC5 RPM has Evolution as a dependency for Beagle, but Beagle can be compiled without evo. ... I wish the Fedora maintainer would eliminate the dependency so that I could install Beagle with the RPM. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [Hplip-help] Problem in running HP 2840 on FC6 with hplip....Desperate!!
    ... Nowhere did I remove the previous install. ... > problem....output filtered to get keyword python from the log is attached. ... > Checking for dependency cups - Common Unix Printing System... ... is an OPTIONAL dependency. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Evaulation kit installation error (0x80004005)
    ... Even though MS has removed MS Java download from www.microsoft.com a long while ago, it is still available on Internet. ... > "Fail to load missing dependency file"-kind of error. ... > Lars Ove ... >>> Did you install XPe PS1 Toolkit first? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.embedded)
  • Re: dependency hell
    ... packages causes real conflicts. ... possible to not install Open Office as well. ... can't be removed because of dependency hell. ... openSUSE callss a "pattern", then it assumes that all those programs ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)