Re: Can't Switch User

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 08:45:12 -0500
"Paul E. Lehmann" <plehmann_21716@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I imagine there is probably a command option that allows
the same thing in SuSE. Every day a new learning experience. Oh
well, I am retired, I have time and I need to keep the neurons
firing :-)

Then let me introduce you to another handy command:

man

This will show you the manual page for the command. For example, you
could have done:

man useradd

and found a good deal of info there. One piece is that
/etc/default/useradd is used for the defaults (in addition to any
command line parameters you might have entered). The command line
parameters you can add will give you all kinds of options (create /home
dir entry and so on). All the Ubuntu command does is run a script that
asks you that info and then issues the appropriate parameters for the
useradd command. In fact, that's basically what the GUI command does,
too.

To access a man page from a terminal window:

man commandname

If you know it's in a particular section of the man pages, e.g. section
7, you could do:

man 7 commandname

If you want to learn more about the man command:

man man

This is also possible from the GUI with several different tools. From
KDE, open Konqueror (the little house icon) and in the location bar enter:

man:commandname
or
#commandname

If there is a matching entry in more than one section, you will be
asked to pick one, otherwise it will just display the man page. You can
also use (if installed) programs like xman, tkman and others. Just
press the <Alt>-<F2> key for a quick command line input box and enter
the program there.

The info program is similar, although better supported; man pages are
tending to fall into disfavor with some in preference to info pages. If
you are an emacs fan, this will work great for you:

info commandname

If you are less than enthusiastic about emacs, consider installing the
pinfo program on the SUSE CDs. It's a little easier to navigate than
info, especially for newbies:

pinfo commandname

Once again, for those of you that prefer the GUI tools, open Konqueror
and enter in the location bar:

info:commandname
or
##commandname

--
Kevin Nathan (Arizona, USA)
Linux Potpourri and a.o.l.s. FAQ -- (temporarily offline)

Open standards. Open source. Open minds.
The command line is the front line.
Linux 2.6.25.18-0.2-pae
10:23am up 47 days 14:15, 20 users, load average: 0.11, 0.38, 0.65

  • Re: Display Problems
    ... >> i have just installed a fresh copy of SUSE 10.0 on an old 10 gig hdd. ... > the Xorg configuration tool, which is based upon a GUI, to start. ... Then issue the command: ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [SLE] Please Help ! gtk fonts -Solved !!
    ... found out that I did not have gnome-control-center installed. ... To all who advised me it would be in Control Center; ... gnome-control-center must be run from the command line. ... There is not a word anywhere from SuSE about these things and their ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: simple LAN
    ... No. Kenneth on this list learned me about the command ip a which is ... not mentioned in O'Reilly's Nutshell or the SuSE manual. ... about how to find unknown IP addresses of computers in a LAN. ... if your internet router acts as a firewall for your ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Installing packages
    ... Suse is there a command line packaging system similar to either urpmi ... Can I configure Yast software management to download software from ... opened up the gui installer and installed it from CD1 & 2. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [SLE] printer loss [susepro 9.1]
    ... > I found that I had added port 631 to the firewall and the ... What does the command kcmshell printmgr show? ... required that you set a cups admin passwd with lppasswd -g sys root in ... UNIX since 1989, linux since 1994, SuSE since 1998 ...
    (SuSE)