Mysterious 'pan0' in network ?

It seems that my network is shutting down from time to time.

I'm wondering what 'pan0' is as it shows up when i restart the network.
Here's what I get in a console when restarting the network and then running
locate to find where 'pan0' is:

13:18 jupiter:/home/mike # /etc/init.d/network restart
Shutting down network interfaces:
eth0 device: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX (rev 20) done
eth1 device: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
(rev 10)
done
pan0
No configuration found for pan0
Nevertheless the interface will be shut down.
bridge-utils not installed done
Shutting down service network . . . . . . . . . done
Hint: you may set mandatory devices in /etc/sysconfig/network/config
Setting up network interfaces:
eth0 device: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX (rev 20)
eth0 Starting DHCP4 client.
eth0 IP address: 192.168.1.64/16 (jupiter) done
eth1 device: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
(rev 10)
eth1 IP address: 192.168.0.1/24 done
pan0
No configuration found for pan0 unused
dsl0 name: DSL Connection done
Setting up service network . . . . . . . . . . done
SuSEfirewall2: Setting up rules from /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 ...
SuSEfirewall2: using default zone 'ext' for interface pan0
SuSEfirewall2: Firewall rules successfully set
13:19 jupiter:/home/mike # locate pan0
/dev/.udev/failed/\x2fdevices\x2fvirtual\x2fnet\x2fpan0
/dev/shm/sysconfig/ready-pan0

Please note that I had some problems when installing from the
openSUSE-11.1-KDE-live installer cd. As it took a good slugfest to get to
the LiveCD desktop I did not go through the normal steps to installation.
'X' was not detecting acceptable resolutions and I got an 'out of range'
warning from my monitor. Logging into an alternative console I was
eventually able to run 'sax2 -l' to get an initial low resolution x-config.
Then I was able to log onto the LiveDesktop. Now installation started but
when doing the initial reboot to start the installation phase 2 I still had
problems with 'X'..... Eventually I did get the install complete. The
internal network is not turned on yet but the 2 ethernet cards are
configured properly... Just wondering why the network is turning off
sometimes and what that mysterious 'pan0' is and if it's related to the
difficult installation....

P.S. I think I'll increase the network timeout period to see if that helps,
though I doubt it....

  • Re: eth0 becomes inactive after reboot in fc6?
    ... After installation, it looks all are working normally: network, ... everything works if I don't restart the system. ... The network card is Intel Corp 82801BA built in the motherboard. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Other host already uses address -
    ... ethernet card but the "probe" function in the network setup GUI doesn't ... see it and if I try to connect it acts like the card is not there. ... However I see a different mac address in the ifconfig pan0 which I ... No, I don't think I did that, just changed the config from eth0 to eth1 when I plugged in the NIC. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Other host already uses address -
    ... ethernet card but the "probe" function in the network setup GUI doesn't ... see it and if I try to connect it acts like the card is not there. ... However I see a different mac address in the ifconfig pan0 which I ... As far as moving messages from one computer to another when having ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Mysterious pan0 in network ?
    ... I'm wondering what 'pan0' is as it shows up when i restart the network. ... It's to do with bluetooth. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Is onboard NIC kaput? (ipconfig output: Unable to query host name.)
    ... network properties, reboot, then reinstall. ... Have you tried updating your MB drivers? ... followed the installation instructions carefully and when all was said ... uninstalled the NIC in the Device Manager, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)