Mysterious 'pan0' in network ?

It seems that my network is shutting down from time to time.

I'm wondering what 'pan0' is as it shows up when i restart the network.
Here's what I get in a console when restarting the network and then running
locate to find where 'pan0' is:

13:18 jupiter:/home/mike # /etc/init.d/network restart
Shutting down network interfaces:
eth0 device: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX (rev 20) done
eth1 device: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
(rev 10)
done
pan0
No configuration found for pan0
Nevertheless the interface will be shut down.
bridge-utils not installed done
Shutting down service network . . . . . . . . . done
Hint: you may set mandatory devices in /etc/sysconfig/network/config
Setting up network interfaces:
eth0 device: Lite-On Communications Inc LNE100TX (rev 20)
eth0 Starting DHCP4 client.
eth0 IP address: 192.168.1.64/16 (jupiter) done
eth1 device: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
(rev 10)
eth1 IP address: 192.168.0.1/24 done
pan0
No configuration found for pan0 unused
dsl0 name: DSL Connection done
Setting up service network . . . . . . . . . . done
SuSEfirewall2: Setting up rules from /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 ...
SuSEfirewall2: using default zone 'ext' for interface pan0
SuSEfirewall2: Firewall rules successfully set
13:19 jupiter:/home/mike # locate pan0
/dev/.udev/failed/\x2fdevices\x2fvirtual\x2fnet\x2fpan0
/dev/shm/sysconfig/ready-pan0

Please note that I had some problems when installing from the
openSUSE-11.1-KDE-live installer cd. As it took a good slugfest to get to
the LiveCD desktop I did not go through the normal steps to installation.
'X' was not detecting acceptable resolutions and I got an 'out of range'
warning from my monitor. Logging into an alternative console I was
eventually able to run 'sax2 -l' to get an initial low resolution x-config.
Then I was able to log onto the LiveDesktop. Now installation started but
when doing the initial reboot to start the installation phase 2 I still had
problems with 'X'..... Eventually I did get the install complete. The
internal network is not turned on yet but the 2 ethernet cards are
configured properly... Just wondering why the network is turning off
sometimes and what that mysterious 'pan0' is and if it's related to the
difficult installation....

P.S. I think I'll increase the network timeout period to see if that helps,
though I doubt it....

.