Re: Problem installing vmware

TwelveEighty wrote:

On Jan 1, 3:33 pm, "Paul E. Lehmann" <plehmann_21...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Tried installing vmware using the directions below on new Dell Computer
installed the pre requisite packages

http://www.swerdna.net.au/linhowtovmwareserversuse.html

installed the pre requisite packages.

My OS specs:

OS:  Linux 2.6.25.18-0.2-default x86_64
Current user:  paul@linux-xy1d
System:  openSUSE 11.0 (x86_64)
KDE:  3.5.9 "release 49.1"
Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

Your kernel was built with "gcc" version "4.3.1", while you are trying to
use "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.3". This configuration is not recommended
and VMware Server may crash if you'll continue. Please try to use exactly
same compiler as one used for building your kernel. Do you want to go
with compiler "/usr/bin/gcc" version "4.3" anyway? [no]

I'm not sure which vmware install you're doing (player, server,
workstation, etc.). Also, which version of that package are you
installing?

VMware-server-2.0.0-122956.x86_64.rpm

At any rate, I had only cosmetic issues (Gnome related) with the
following configuration:

openSUSE 11.1 - VMware-Player-2.5.0-118166.i386.rpm

Perhaps VMware-Player is what I really need instead of
VMware-server.

I guess I am ignorant of the difference between the two. I am not on a
network - just a stand alone machine.

I just want to be able to access the bare bones Windows Vista that came with
my new computer in case I ever need to.

Will VMware-Player allow me to install another linux flavor such as Kubuntu
in addition to vista and Suse which is already installed?

I have just upgraded to 11.1, previously, this also worked flawlessly
on openSUSE 11.0.

This installation automatically kicks off the configuration step with
compilation - make sure to run the installation in a console (as root,
of course).

Frank

.