Re: openSUSE 11.1 64 Bit USB thumbdrive mounting problems

Eef Hartman wrote:
Thomas Tootle <tootlet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
fdisk -l shows my usb drive as sde1 with fat32. So as root I entered the
following commands:
mkdir -p /mnt/myusb
mount -t vfat -o rw,users /dev/sde1 /mnt/myusb
snip

- what I prefer is to enable "mount as user" because then the mounter
is also the file-owner: for this you have to add a line TO the
/etc/fstab, in this case with the "user" or "users" option, which says
"is mountable" (cq UNmountable) by normal user UID's.
An example, taken from your mount line:
/dev/sde1 /mnt/myusb vfat users,noauto 0 0
in which the parameters are:
mount device
mount dir
file type (-t from the mount)
options (-o), noauto for "do not mount as root", users (are allowed to mount it)
parameters for dump and fsck (disabled)
snip

This worked fine. But it brings me to another problem. I also plug in
external hard drives. If a thumb drive isn't present then it will assign
sde1 to this drive which has as totally different file system. So I
would need to umount the thumb drive, comment out the line in fstab
concerning the usb thumb drive device and enter a new line like
/dev/sbe1 /mnt/myusb ntfs-g3 users,noauto 0 0
for my external hard drive with a ntfs file system. Will this work?

Thanks,
Tom

  • Re: mount() function problem !
    ... mount() attaches the filesystem specified by source (which is often a device name, ... point within a file system. ... details of the options available for each filesystem type. ... Specifies the journalling mode for file data. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: bin, sbin, etc as seperate LVM volumes
    ... RD>>that's where mount lives, and you almost certainly need to mount ... driver modules needed to get to the root file system. ... to start with -- these all must be all on the same file system. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • RE: Machine not Booting - Continued
    ... If you see /etc/rc.sysinit you can see some sections for managing raid partitions. ... Otherwise specify the same mkraid and mount command in /etc/rc.local. ... it has no proper file system to mount. ... For address and company registration details of certain entities ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Salvaging data from USB flash disk
    ... mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0, ... Disk /dev/sda doesn't contain a valid partition table ... Your flash disk most likely has a vfat file system. ... only the partition containing the file system with data. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: Init.c, making it chroot
    ... simply let init mount it in all cases, ... The kernel needs to mount devfs because that's how it finds the device node to mount the root file system from. ...
    (freebsd-hackers)