Re: openSUSE 11.1 64 Bit USB thumbdrive mounting problems

Eef Hartman wrote:
Thomas Tootle <tootlet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
fdisk -l shows my usb drive as sde1 with fat32. So as root I entered the
following commands:
mkdir -p /mnt/myusb
mount -t vfat -o rw,users /dev/sde1 /mnt/myusb
snip

- what I prefer is to enable "mount as user" because then the mounter
is also the file-owner: for this you have to add a line TO the
/etc/fstab, in this case with the "user" or "users" option, which says
"is mountable" (cq UNmountable) by normal user UID's.
An example, taken from your mount line:
/dev/sde1 /mnt/myusb vfat users,noauto 0 0
in which the parameters are:
mount device
mount dir
file type (-t from the mount)
options (-o), noauto for "do not mount as root", users (are allowed to mount it)
parameters for dump and fsck (disabled)
snip

This worked fine. But it brings me to another problem. I also plug in
external hard drives. If a thumb drive isn't present then it will assign
sde1 to this drive which has as totally different file system. So I
would need to umount the thumb drive, comment out the line in fstab
concerning the usb thumb drive device and enter a new line like
/dev/sbe1 /mnt/myusb ntfs-g3 users,noauto 0 0
for my external hard drive with a ntfs file system. Will this work?

Thanks,
Tom

  • Re: mount() function problem !
    ... mount() attaches the filesystem specified by source (which is often a device name, ... point within a file system. ... details of the options available for each filesystem type. ... Specifies the journalling mode for file data. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: bin, sbin, etc as seperate LVM volumes
    ... RD>>that's where mount lives, and you almost certainly need to mount ... driver modules needed to get to the root file system. ... to start with -- these all must be all on the same file system. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • RE: Machine not Booting - Continued
    ... If you see /etc/rc.sysinit you can see some sections for managing raid partitions. ... Otherwise specify the same mkraid and mount command in /etc/rc.local. ... it has no proper file system to mount. ... For address and company registration details of certain entities ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Salvaging data from USB flash disk
    ... mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0, ... Disk /dev/sda doesn't contain a valid partition table ... Your flash disk most likely has a vfat file system. ... only the partition containing the file system with data. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: getfsent(3) and spaces in fstab
    ... Each filesystem is described on a separate line; ... having a space in a filesystem or mount point will violate ... if the name of the file system or the mount point ...
    (freebsd-hackers)