Re: Trying to keep HDD sleeping

Kevin Nathan <knathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 17 Mar 2009 09:48:47 GMT
Rob <nomail@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The problem is nog how to put it asleep, but how to avoid it spin up
at random moments.

Are you sure it is not mounted? Run 'mount', and see if it is listed in
the output.

Of course it is mounted! It has to be, to be accessible.

In my case, what I want is a system full of disks that contain video and
that only spin up when something is being played from one of them.
Automatically.

So the disks are all mounted under /media and that directory is shared
on the network so the playback box can access it.

This worked pretty well in SuSE 10.0 and a bit less good on 11.1

One difference is that in 10.0 you could do "sync" and the discs remained
silent, while in 11.1 a "sync" command will spin up all the discs one by
one, presumably to write back some superblock or so.
.