Re: Trying to keep HDD sleeping

Kevin Nathan <knathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 17 Mar 2009 09:48:47 GMT
Rob <nomail@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The problem is nog how to put it asleep, but how to avoid it spin up
at random moments.

Are you sure it is not mounted? Run 'mount', and see if it is listed in
the output.

Of course it is mounted! It has to be, to be accessible.

In my case, what I want is a system full of disks that contain video and
that only spin up when something is being played from one of them.
Automatically.

So the disks are all mounted under /media and that directory is shared
on the network so the playback box can access it.

This worked pretty well in SuSE 10.0 and a bit less good on 11.1

One difference is that in 10.0 you could do "sync" and the discs remained
silent, while in 11.1 a "sync" command will spin up all the discs one by
one, presumably to write back some superblock or so.

  • Re: Automatic means for spinning down disks available?
    ... Maybe it's safer to spin in peace than to park/launch? ... In Nov, '99 a power off//on ... The worst stress points during a disks life are at spin-up ... by configuring Wake On Lan. ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Automatic means for spinning down disks available?
    ... I've heard both sides, and so far, just leaving drive spin seems slightly better. ... about the disk spinning at different speeds: many contemporary disks have "acoustics" levels where you can adjust the speed on demand (assuming you knew the hardware level instructions to send to the controllers). ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • Re: Automatic means for spinning down disks available?
    ... Maybe it's safer to spin in peace than to park/launch? ... I like the idea of saving drives and power if a computer ... spin down disks available in either ports or the base system, ... Gary Kline kline@xxxxxxxxxxx www.thought.org Public Service Unix ...
    (freebsd-questions)
  • [git patches] libata fixes
    ... libata spindown skipping and warning ... haltsynchronizes caches for and spins down libata disks ... Spin down on system halt is now implemented and can be tested ... This module parameter is to give userspace tool the time to ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Automatic means for spinning down disks available?
    ... copy the critical files there. ... files and lost a few hour technical work. ... Maybe it's safer to spin in peace than to park/launch? ... Just trying to cut down on energy use, and increase my disks' ...
    (freebsd-questions)