Re: Next openSUSE

On Thursday 20 Aug 2009 13:43, Happy Oyster played with alphabet spaghetti
and left this on the plate:

On 20 Aug 2009 07:46:24 GMT, houghi <houghi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Happy Oyster wrote:
It is not betaware, it is crap. All the many usefull things of KDE3 are
spoiled in dolphin. It is so stupid and so clumsy. It is a pain to it.

So use something else.

I would. But the other stuff is even worse.

It's been a while since I last used Gnome, but it wasn't exactly to my
tastes then. I have tried XFCE and that wasn't too bad. Not as full of the
eye candy that KDE has, but it was quite fast and pretty capable.

And I understand that you are moaning here. It just won't help. The best
thing to do is get involved, although I asume it is too late for many
things, it is still posible helping with the direction things shoud go
to.

I cannot carry all the burden of the world on my shoulders.

Who said you had to carry the burden of the world on your shoulders? The
suggestion was that you got involved. All you need to do to do that is to
file bug reports, explicitly point out missing features that should have
been included, and things like that. That way you're helping to mold things.

Why should I
take the responsibility for the crap that THESE GUYS make?

Are you wanting the situation to improve, or are you just wanting to moan
and groan that "it's not the same as KDE3.5" ?

The big problem is that Linux is acclaimed to work in
commercial/industrial range.

It does. If you look at the two business-oriented releases Novell have, one
aimed at the desktop and one at the server, you'll see both default to
having Gnome as the desktop environment.

If they want to be taken serious, then they have to act serious and act
responsible.

You've personally met them? Or are you just saying that they aren't acting
seriously and responsibly, just because they aren't doing something you want
them to do?

As long as you have well argumented ideas, they will often follow them
or have an even better explanation as to why not.

I am damned sure I am not the first to complain, and that I am one of
MILLIONS who complain.

Moaning and groaning here is one thing, filing bug reports and feature
requests is quite another. One may get thinks done, the other almost
certainly won't.

Why don't they listen?

How do you know they haven't? KDE4.3 looks a lot like KDE3.5 to me. There
are a lot of differences, but also a lot of similarities.

Follow their KDE team meetings, read their mailinglists and understand
why they do what they do and then advice another direction or bring up
ideas.

I am not a programmer,

I do know what wonderful machines computers are - unless you give them
into the hands of programmers...

If you think they're bad in the hands of programmers, just look at what
happens when normal users get their hands on them.

And, just out of curiosity, what do you think you'd be doing with your
computer(s) if the programmers had never been close to a computer?

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: http://www.distributed.net/ OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @
~1Mkeys/s

  • Re: The Yiddish Solution
    ... this forum is a white, Christian male, and *pretend* that other ... Christian male" -- he's said on numerous occasions that he's Jewish ... attempt a preemptive expiation of any responsibility -- responsibility ... and I want to complain about ...
    (rec.woodworking)
[...]
  • Re: Static vs Dynamic
    ... > as an argument to show Java as not statically typed. ... see that you didn't make any mistake that the language did not catch. ... responsible programmers can develop in anything. ... responsibility imposed by a braindamaged programming language means ...
    (comp.lang.lisp)