Re: Next openSUSE

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 10:54:23 -0700, Kevin Nathan <knathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 15:44:12 +0100
Happy Oyster <happy.oyster@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No. The files I look at have a strange name like

abclksdfkaslkdkf

You didn't read my answer very closely, then. Did you try the

file *

I mentioned? Did it not give you file types regardless of the name?
File extensions (like .txt, .exe, etc.) for file type identification is
only for human use and, under Linux, mean nothing in themselves. Only
DOS/Windows use them as fact without checking file contents.

I now did. It even shows the resolution of the pictures. That is fine. Now I
guess if it is possible to use that information to filter out some files, so
that I can access them to copy them in an other directory.

The problem with the data area is that it is a cache, and for that an index
exists which is "somehow" organized. It is no simple Linux file system. As an
other example I can tell you to look at the cache of Firefox. There, everythign
is dumped into some few files plus some indexes. There, no access to the data is
possible for me. All is messed up.

If, by 'vertical blocks' you mean selecting, cutting and copying
rectangular blocks of text then KWrite does that (from what I can tell
by looking at its menu), as does Kate and NEdit (the two grapical
editors I use the most). Probably quite a few other Linux editors that
do blocks, too.

Are you sure? I had seen nothing like that. NEdit I do not know.

Look in the KWrite menu system, under Edit and you will see:

Block Selection Mode (Ctrl-Shift-B)

You can toggle it on and off with Ctrl-Shift-B. Kate uses the exact
same key sequence for the same function.

I would be happy to know which programs can do what I want.

Have you even *tried* doing a web search? Try these two:

linux equivalents of windows programs

and

linux equivalents of dos programs

No, I didn't. I had been told that Joe is a good look-alike of Wordstar, and Joe
was praised highly. But it is terribe. As it was the one praised most, what
could those offer which were lower in ranking?

But in any case, it will take some time on your part to learn what is
available and what works best for you. When you started with DOS, I am
pretty sure you didn't instantly know all DOS commands and what they
did.

One learns best with working with the system. This is what I do, and piece for
piece add more. But a) i have nearly no time and b) the system is so terrible,
that I lose MUCH!!! time because of crashes and new installations. I work for
months on some investigations. It is extremely time-consuming. So I cannot toy
all the time with the foolishness of the installers or whatever.

Also, a disk editor reads sectors, no matter which OS the HDD has.

It's still madness to use a DOS program, from within an emulator, to
edit a disk directly.

Now YOU did not read. I never said that I want to use a disk editor from within
a virtual machine. The disk editor I use from the highest possible place.

Just try out some of those hexeditors in the
links I gave you in my last msg.

One of the nicest abilities of Linux, in this regard, is the ability to
copy any sector of the disk to a file, look at it, edit it, whatever
and then write it back to the same, or even another, sector.

This is what I ended up with for the MBRs. All the programs and "tools" for
Windows are terrible crap. One trap being that one is not told if they treat the
MBR of the HDD and the MBR of the partition as being the same. And some do
that...

b) I grew up with a computer on the bit-level, I am accustomed to
these things

So am I. I started with computers in 1979. I was in the middle of
writing a disk defrag utility and an erased file restore utility when
Norton 1.0 came out.

Norton in 1979 ??? The IBM PC came in 1980 or so.

I've troubleshot minicomputers by tracing the
path the microinstruction took through the schematics to determine the
faulty chip. I programmed that same minicomputer by toggling bits on
the front panel display. I worked on a six bay special purpose computer
that used no chips; a flip-flop was two transistors and associated
circuitry. I am not afraid of getting down to the bit level at all, but
directly editing the disk sectors -- without at least first copying them
to a file -- is a risk I am unwilling to take on a production machine.

And for the copying I wanted to use the tools, just to find that they are all
crap. Took me quite a time (because of all the time-consuming new installs they
caused) to weed them out. Only dd of Linux is useful.

The bottom line for you is, you need to take the time to find, and
learn, what is available in Linux before you just complain about the
uselessness of some GUI tool that wasn't even meant to do what you use
it for.

You still don't get it: I have to work. And I insist on a freshly installed
machine to work. That is the least possible request: that the machine works, and
that the machine does not mess up (like automatic installers, or tools, etc)

Learn the command line. You need an equivalent to DOS' LIST? Try:

more
less
zless

Terrible. LIST is a file viewer where I can - on full-screen - go through a file
and switch between ASCII, hex etc.

The last one lets you directly view the contents of compressed files.
Do you just want to see the first two lines of a file? Try:

head -n 2

Try out 'mc' -- you would be amazed how much you can do with *that*
little gem of a command line tool!

Command line? mc is a clumsy full-screen of the DOS-area about 20 years ago.
There we had some of that kind, and even they were better.

--
**** WARNING **** The web-hoster Globat.com steals money from your
credit card account. If you are a customer of Globat.com, never give

  • Re: Right Place?
    ... Can I use MS compatible software with Linux? ... and I purchased CrossOver Office in order to run Windows Office XP. ... not Windows, from disk or CD or DVD, then you have some work to do. ... I don't know many first-time linux installers who get everything ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: mirroring
    ... *Migrating an Existing Linux to RAID1* ... this copies your data from the existing disk to the new disk then overwrites your existing disk* ... Change the partition type on the existing non-raid disk to type 'fd' ... Create the degraded RAID array on the empty disk, but leave out the existing system disk for now. ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: mirroring
    ... *Migrating an Existing Linux to RAID1* ... Change the partition type on the existing non-raid disk to type 'fd' ... Changed system type of partition 1 to fd (Linux raid autodetect) ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Panasonic HD Recorders - What disk format?
    ... The earlier part of this is more about what may be Linux partitioning, ... might be possible to present the recorder with a larger disk already ... Most DOS/Windows utilities such as FDisk, Ghost, and Partition Magic Pro ... prompts to format it. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: defrag in linux?
    ... heads of your HD advance sequentially through the hard disk. ... fragmentation is a concern when one ... On the other hand, if you are Linux, you reorder the ... 'file fragmented' Linux file system and a 'file unfragmented' Linux ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)