Event sounds absent - openSUSE 11.1 KDE 3.5.1

Hello,

i am a relativ beginner in linux but not afraid of trying new
things, reading manuals etc., but this problem i don't have any
idea.

Installed is Linux 2.6.27.29.-0.1-defaultx86_64,
openSUSE 11.1 - KDE 3.5.1.

When i boot i never hear any sound, also when i click on
icons, open programs and so on, no event sounds. (email
coming in, error ... )

But i can hear music or sound in videos and all streaming media in
the internet.

I notice also that oftenly the sound "disappears", so i have to
reconfigure the soundcard, either with YaST->material->sound where
i see: card "MCP51 High Definition Audio" non configured.
I go on "modify... and so on" and sound come back.

Or i launch as superuser in command mode:

alsaconf (configuration works), and than
alsactl store

After one of theses manipulations the sound works again, but only
the sound for hearing music & video.
The system-sounds never work.

Somewhere in the deepness of configuration i found activation and
inactivation of system sounds (i forgot where) but the different
choices never changed anything.

Annother information perhaps important for you:

in the /ect/sysconfig -> Hardware -> Soundcard
i have the following choices:

LOAD_SEQUENCER yes
SOUNDFONT_FILES empty
LOAD_OSS_EMUS_MODULES yes
LOAD_OSS_SEQ_MODULE no
PULSEAUDIO_ENABLE no

Do you have an idea what i can try ?

Thanks

  • Re: WARNING to potential LINUX users
    ... And I did not ask specificly for linux supported hardware, ... IDE CD-ROMS or DVD drives all ... > the sound events were turned on and the mixer showed volume was maximum ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: WARNING to potential LINUX users
    ... > audio which is not supported by linux. ... >> The very first thing I noticed was that there was NO SOUND even though ... >>started over with SuSE. ... So much for installing right out of the box on ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • [OT]: Substitute VMS for Linux in this article
    ... Linux problems, including claims that sound isn't that important in business ... Rick Spencer on the general issue of Linux hardware support: ... As an analogy, say you worked for Coca-Cola since Windows 95 came out, say ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: Well, Windows is back on the disk.
    ... >>>There's just some programs not working with sound at all. ... But that puts me even further and further away from Ubuntu, ... >>>And yet, using Windows XP the past three years on this laptop, ... >>i still don't get the point in trying ubuntu (linux), ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Linux and Multimedia-->The Potential is there<<-- But...........
    ... You wouldn't know good audio if it hit you on top ... > Like your Sound blaster 24 bit for example? ... >>Linux, to my ear, has the most powerful, crispest and clearest sound. ... > I'm sure the Mac crowd will love this one. ...
    (alt.os.linux)