Re: A few questions

On October 21, 2009 14:04, in alt.os.linux.suse, DenverD
(spam.trap@xxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

I still think the Warp 4 desktop ... nothing else has come close.

agree...i wonder (if IBM would open source the code)

IIRC, that option has been rejected a number of times by IBM. Apparently,
there's licenced, propriatary IP in OS/2 (Workplace Desktop and all) that
would prevent it from being relicenced with a FOSS licence.

if it would be
possible to hack up a Warp (object oriented) desktop as just another
DE available... ???

I vaguely recall hearing about an OO desktop environment for X, but I have
no specifics about it. Nextstep, perhaps? Or something like it?

like we need another DE to argue about....OH, and could argue about
'e' (the Warp version of vi--but MUCH better!!)....

--
Lew Pitcher

  • Re: A few questions
    ... IIRC, that option has been rejected a number of times by IBM. ... would prevent it from being relicenced with a FOSS licence. ... the superior OS, OS/2] ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Harper CANNOT be trusted with a majority Govt.
    ... DOS had to go with the machine. ... We paid a" per machine produced" licence to Microsoft. ... large retailer where consumers buy their home PC's and see how many versions of UNIX, Linux, OS/2 installed on the machine. ... IBM took over development when MS was unable to make the code work. ...
    (rec.woodworking)
  • Re: DECforms
    ... The last official IBM version was/is 4.5. ... Warp 5 competed even with my SuSE Linux 10.2 box. ... C/C++ compiler for the Amiga until Commodore died. ... non-compete agreement. ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: How to buy Warp 4?
    ... very modern and Warp 4 is nicer anyways. ... > how I can go about purchasing the latest release from IBM? ... interested to know that eCS includes the Hoblink X11 server. ... Back when I was at IBM, I used eCS to administer AIX boxes and storage ...
    (comp.os.os2.moderated)
  • Re: MS-C 6.0 unter eCS 1.2 und Warp 4.52
    ... Ich hatte das schonmal beobachtet als es von Warp 3 nach Warp 4 ging und nach erfolgloser Diskussion mit IBM eine andere Lösung gefunden. ... Beim Aufsetzen der alten Umgebung auf einem aktuellen System (IBM Warp 4.52) funktionierte es wieder richtig, als ich die selben Sourcen mit denselben Einstellungen und Includes unter eCS compilieren wollte, ging es wieder nicht. ... Das benutzt die large model Compiler Komponenten anstatt der near Versionen. ...
    (de.comp.os.os2.programmer)