Re: A few questions

Kevin Nathan wrote:

On Thu, 22 Oct 2009 01:54:25 -0600
Will Honea <whonea@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

but I'm seeing too
much bloat in both KDE and Gnome without the flexibility so m looking
for a simpler way to go without losing the features.

I would start by installing every desktop/window manager that openSUSE
offers and check each one out. Find the ones that seem 'natural' to you
and have the required features. Then let some of your clients check it
out, see which one they liked.

We did that with Ubuntu/Kubuntu when we were switching over a client
from Windows to Linux about three years ago. We upgraded two of their
machines, one with Ubuntu (GNOME) and one with Kubuntu (KDE) and let
them use them for several weeks. They settled on Kubuntu.

That's where I'm headed but the major hangup is any change at all since they
most of the desktops are recent converts from Windows - mostly XP - and I'm
getting this "you want us to change AGAIN?" response. My current
inclination is to leave 11.1/KDE3 in place for a year or so before fighting
the battle and then switching the desktop at the same time I upgrade the
os. For a novice Linux user coming from Windows the change in appearance
alone is a problem. Is there anything out there to make KDE4 look and act
like KDE3? that might also be a possibility.

--
Will Honea

  • Re: FC14 to FC15 Preinstall stuck, replond.xml and repos NOT updated!
    ... Nothing new and exciting like gnome. ... Windows 7 to make all windows transparent. ... Compare that to compiz and I ... KDE 4.x defaults to using Dolphin as the filemanager, ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: In lack of a good window manager
    ... > thik about KDE and GNOME, i have a hard time finding something that fit ... like the default one, which is sawfish, has the ability to remember windows ... Oh, almost forgot, Gnome2, have used that, I have critsized it so much that I ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: New User
    ... I am trying to ween myself from Windows. ... am using Gnome, so my first priority is programming for Gnome, but if I ... both kde and gnome are split into two levels. ... There is the interface library (for displaying windows, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [opensuse] KDE or Gnome?
    ... I am struggling a bit with the Gnome interface and I really would like ... I am partial to kde, I must admit that at the beginning. ... it will look and act so different from Windows that your newbie will hate it. ... OTOH, the MINT distro, which is an offspring of Ubuntu, but without some ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: No xterm (or equivalents) immediately accessible in default etch
    ... Also imho Debian is not for a newbie or even ... less so a windows convert, ... a Gnome Desktop, no KDE, which is guaranteed to confuse Windows ...
    (Debian-User)