Re: NFS issues - betwixt/between different distros

On Monday 26 Oct 2009 17:44, Ram played with alphabet spaghetti and
left this residue on the plate:

What's your export file look like ?
Can you see these from Ubuntu? showmount -e "hostname or IP of server"

I've been connecting to OS11 NFS supplied shares for over a yeah to
Unbuntu 8.04 /10 - 9.04 and now 9.10 on each upgrade or as in the latest
9.10 clean install.

On suggestion is to have a look at your exports and check to see if
each exported file system has it's own fsid. I have various systems
with different a selection of openSUSE and SuSE[0] versions and I found
that, without having the fsid specified, I started having problems
mounting NFS shares on 11.0 and later versions. I can't recall where I
discovered this as a possible cure, although I do recall Googling to
see if I could find out what was causing the problem, and what was a
possible solution.

All I've had to do was install *NFS-Common* then edit fstab and add the
share mount points.

I used to do that, but it would slow down booting somewhat if more than
one system was rebooted at the same time. My solution was to use autofs
and have that doing the mounting for me.

Mount points that I want all users to see, go in /media/sonedirectory,
these directories needed creating. Stuff that I mount in /mnt/home/ got
created automatically.

With autofs, I have specified all my mounts under /mounts . There I
have a sub-directory for each exported host that I wish the system to
have access to the sharing systems shares. Then, to access a file or
directory, all I need to do is look inside the directory and autofs
mounts it for me.

For the most part this works just fine. Sometimes, after a reboot of
one of the sharing systems, I need to explicitly restart the nfsserver,
but that's not a common requirement. Then again, reboots aren't that
common either.

[0] Yes, some of the systems I have are well beyond EOL. I still have a
system running 9.3, mainly because it does very little but act as a
file server, and a laptop running 9.1 because its memory can't be
upgraded enough to run anything later at a usable speed.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 10.3 32b | openSUSE 11.0 32b | |

  • Re: [autofs] [RFC] Towards a Modern Autofs
    ... >entangling autofs with that work. ... >filesystem it's willing to export. ... >>map is mounted. ... The result is that some users will see mount points ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: [autofs] [RFC] Towards a Modern Autofs
    ... entangling autofs with that work. ... > map is mounted. ... I don't quite see the need for the mapkey mount option. ... But in sec. 5.3.2 I see you making filesystem dirs in /tmp which seem to ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: How to Mount devices
    ... > I am testing a couple of versions of Linux, Knoppix and Fedora. ... > I want to open a console session and mount the same devices in Fedora, ... specify the file system. ... For such cases we have the autofs application. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: [VFS-RFC] autofs4 and bind, rbind and move mount requests
    ... The result is very similar to move mount. ... > I don't think it should because autofs needs be true to the mount maps ... do_add_mountcall (which places the vfsmount on the expiry list), ... If you just want to disable bind, ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: mountd Invalid radix node head (9-STABLE)
    ... 2 exports in that file are causing problems. ... If they are on the same server file system as one of the other ... (It comes from the fact that the kernel uses a radix tree of subnet/host ... addresses hanging off the server mount point for exports to the various ...
    (freebsd-stable)