Re: Flakey cd's?

David Bolt Inscribed thus:

On Monday 07 Dec 2009 16:15, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
bb painted this mural:

On 2009-12-07 17:11, Van Chocstraw wrote:
I have this stupid computer with a DVD R/RW drive and a CD R/Rw
drives. Ubuntu live cd works great. Ubuntu 9.10 installs ok from
either drive. OpenSuse 11.2 both live cds Kde and Gnome crash and
burn on either CD drive. They have buffer IO errors and it crashes
with no more things to do at this run level. Can't run live nor
install. Why the difference between Ubuntu and OpenSUSE?

http://cdrecord.berlios.de/private/linux-dist.html

That has nothing to do with _running_ a live CD, which is what is
being complained about. It sounds like there's a bad burn and the OP
could do with reburning fresh copies of the openSUSE CDs, and checking
the md5sum of the disc after the burn has completed.

Regards,
David Bolt

I agree with doing an MD5SUM check on the burnt CD/DVD.
However I come across this issue occasionally when the machine has bad
ram. I also often find that caching has been turned off in the BIOS in
an attempt to hide ram or motherboard issues.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

  • Re: Flakey cds?
    ... Ubuntu 9.10 installs ok from either drive. ... OpenSuse 11.2 both live cds Kde and Gnome crash and burn on either CD ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Flakey cds?
    ... Ubuntu 9.10 installs ok from either drive. ... OpenSuse 11.2 both live cds Kde and Gnome crash and burn on either CD ... I know there was something flakey with the cd drives. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Question for Linux users
    ... Get a separate hard drive and install 8.04 Ubuntu from the Live CD ... Linux abstracts the connection so that once it is configured, ... drives so you can simply put your windows drive on a USB adapter and ...
    (rec.outdoors.rv-travel)
  • Re: [opensuse] Confused by hard drive naming/position /dev/sda vs hd0 etc,
    ... controller: ... The order openSUSE sees the drives on /dev is ... understand Grub) and which boots fine. ...
    (SuSE)
  • RE: Bind ubuntu to hard drive.
    ... We have switched our mail and web gateway from Windows Server to Ubuntu ... The previous server had a mirrored raid pair of SATA drives. ... box and the other one is actually two hard drives on removable 5,25" bays ... fireproof safe. ...
    (Ubuntu)