Re: How to create a USB flash software repository?

On 01/19/2010 02:59 PM, David Bolt wrote:
On Tuesday 19 Jan 2010 16:55, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
script||die painted this mural:

On 01/19/2010 10:57 AM, houghi wrote:
David Bolt wrote:
That is a much harder task. You'd need to have a complete list of all
the packages installed on each machine, including any possible
architecture or release differences. Maintaining them would be a bit of
a pain so it'd probably be easier to just mirror the entire selection
of packages.

It depends on the number of machines. I just connect them to the
standard connection over the interweb and have everythjing I need.
Instead of downloading a LOT that I don't need, I will download some
things twice. I would think that I need a lot of machines (20+ at least)
per version and architecture to make it a bit interesting.

<snip>

Both of you seem to have something I don't: a level of expertise.

Don't worry. You'll pick it up over time and there's always this group
and the openSUSE mailing lists and forums if you get stuck.

I find
myself in a situation of a relative dimwit having been volunteered to be
'tha man' to maintain half a dozen systems for friends, family and one
benevolent community's machines all for free!

Hope you at least get a decent cuppa while doing this. Years ago, while
acting as tech support for my mother, I had to bring my own tea bags.
It was either that or drink herbal tea, and I haven't tasted a single
herbal tea that I could drink.

I could tell stories of peanut butter keyboards, makeup mirrors hanging
on the new LCD monitor, etc. The one thattook the cake was a laptop
used (briefly) to park a hot bowl of stew on.

If I let slip the term
'rural' that should be ispiring. I don't even have time to spill coffee
on the keyboard much less get deep into networking.

If all you're doing is carting around a copy of the update mirror, you
don't need to know a lot about networking. Just enough to be able to
create your mirror and how to configure the other machines to use it
when it's available.

For a while I had thought of doing it from home but that will always be
too far for my skills.

I shudda stuck with
freakin windows and then NOBODY would be asking nothing of me, really,
I'm looking for a way to let everyone just fend for themselves :-(

Once you get the monicker of "computer guy", it can be hard to get rid
of it. I've managed to stop most of the people that used to ask me for
help, but still have to contend with three. Knowing I've switched
completely to Linux means two of them rarely ask for help, since
they're still using WinXP and are unwilling to change.

That's my case too but as the windows fans are thinning out I'm thinking
of reverting my expertise to end up with less work!

A lot of otherwise commendable effort has seen online istalls and
updating improve over time because it's easy and popular but maybe the
offline has been neglected somewhat.

You can do offline updates almost as easily. Create a mirror and point
YaST/zypper at it. Don't enable automatic updates or there will be
complaints about missing repos.

One thing you could do is to make sure the names for the update repos
is the same on all the machines, no matter which version they're
running, and then have a small script on the USB stick/portable drive
that enables the update repo, refreshes it, does the update, and then
disables it again.

With a usb.hd adapter and a nice 32gb usb stick I'm now in a position to
greatly reduce the ritual-load. Just did one where I plugged in the usb,
mounted it under the last local repo mountpoint and did the update. Went
real easy. I'll be standardizing this method for myself in the weeks
ahead.

Something like this should work, although you may need to do some
testing:

I'll keep what you wrote to look into. I know zyppper will have to be a
study2do one of these days.

Didn't you used to have a Mac?

Naaw, I was delivered in an amiga box and then went compuke-awol for years.

Never really liked the Amigas. I could use them, and even did on a few
occasions, but always ended up going back to Atari systems[1] which I
much preferred.

You gotta admit it had some good features, mine didn't even have an HD
so it was pretty silent for one thing.

[0] Well, two systems. I've still got an old system running SuSE 9.1.
As for it's job, I can't remember what it originally did. I used to use
it as a laptop but haven't done so in years. Nowadays, the only thing
it does is contribute to my distributed.net key rates.

[1] Is this where we get to have another Atari/Amiga flame-war? I do
sometimes miss the good old days, and being able to throw in comments
about how RISCOS is better than both their GUIs was a nice way to stir
the pot :-)

Who's got time for flamewars? I'm just catching up on what I can and am
outta here.

Thanks :-)

  • Re: object system...
    ... Some people belive that we too are finite state machines agitated by ... Mirror produces a model of your head. ... Human brain contains incomputable elements. ...
    (comp.object)
  • Re: apt-proxy on Ubuntu 6.06
    ... Bjørn Ingmar Berg wrote: ... to set up a local partial mirror. ... as apt-proxy doesn't do anything "out of the box". ... I set "Server IP to listen on" to the machines own IP. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: Apple laptop for an old man (long).
    ... (Duncan Kennedy) ... mirror unles the mail is moved. ... machines and 2 Linux ones are set to do the same thing. ... would have expected Mac to Mac to be OK, ...
    (uk.comp.sys.mac)
  • Re: Aberrations of lines (scratches) in mirror
    ... new fabrication machines ... can uniformly create constant curvature. ... Even with million dollar mirror making machine like the ... In the case of my russian mak with rotatable corrector ...
    (sci.astro.amateur)
  • Re: Local mirroring
    ... My first attempt to rsync ftp-1.gwdg.de I made a cron job and it ... Now what if the sending mirror is in the process of mirroring ... and the moment the other machines want to do the update. ... the LAN turn their Globes red they don't get mixed up updates. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)