Re: How to create a USB flash software repository?

On Sunday 24 Jan 2010 18:20, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

David Bolt wrote:
yes and the people paying instead using the free service will be
thinking that free is to good to be true. More expensive will be more
better. As he charges more he must be worth more.

Until they figure out that they're being conned.

Indeed and the only thing I can do is give some information. They need
to process it themselves.

Unfortunately, the nice little proverb:

you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink

is basically true for people as well. Personally, I'd rewrite it as:

you can give a person information, but you can't make them think

because past experience seems to show that is true as well.

Then they will call their trusted person, who will charge them for a
re-install and sells a virus scanner. The time after that updates for
that scanner and then the computer won't be ast enopugh anymore and sell
a new coputer.

And I bet their "trusted person" is laughing all the way to the bank.
It's always nice to have a cash-cow.

Even though I've never used it, I do know
people that have, and they don't like it one bit. Unfortunately, they
also would rather use that than have to "learn Linux", and this is
despite them very frequently using their partners machine, which just
happens to be running KDE4 on 11.2. I find that very strange.

The reason they don't like it is because they weer used to the previous
version, which they also did not like or the one before that.

Actually, one or two that I know really did like WinXP. I always
thought it looked too much like a toy, but they thought it looked nice.
Ah well, some people just have no taste.

Basically they want their Win95 back.

Personally, I liked the look of KDE2. I used to change the look of KDE3
so it would look like KDE2, and I was quite happy with the look. The
same sort of thing applied with WinXP, I would always swap themes so it
looked more like Win98/ME. Having said that, I didn't really like
WinXP. I used it because I was basically tied to one or two
applications that won't run under Linux. Now I'm no longer tied to them
and so I no longer use Windows[0].

So, I suppose you could say that that's fairly true. However, with
KDE4, I've gone for the Cleanlooks widget style and the dark
transparent grey desktop theme. The end results being something that
both looks like a previous version, but also doesn't.

Most people do not like change.

Most adults, and some children, don't like change. As to why, it's
probably because change makes them uncomfortable. Most children, and
some adults, like change because they like the adventure and love to
learn something new.

Something has to go enourmously back
before you can get the people to say "I want change!"

I get the feeling that they don't really want change, although someone
providing what appears on the surface to be change would go a long way
to satisfying that initial "I want change" but also satisfy the
"I don't want change".

And I mean it needs to go catastrofically wrong and even then many won't
be sure. (1)

A lot of people are similar to sheep.

True, even though quite a few of the Windows issues are solved by a
reboot, while a few others need the drastic step of either a reinstall
or re-imaging.

The reason is that many people install and de-install things.

Which is something require when you use Windows. You get a few simple
apps, that are basically useless for anything serious. To do anything
useful, you need to install a wide selection of apps. Then you find
that the ones you've installed don't really do what they are supposed
to do, so you deinstall them and find something else. End results are
loads of software added and removed. Oh, and don't forget the reboot
after each package is added or removed which then adds to the
frustration.

Linux, on the other hand, has a wide selection of software provided to
start with, unless you're building your own basically from scratch.

That is
also how I break my Linux.

Sometimes I set out to try and do that, without cheating and wiping
partitions, or doing an rm -rf / as root. So far, I've not managed to
do so, at least not without having to become root to even get close.

OK, It is a bit harder to break, but if I
just would use it, nothing would happen (provided you have a firewall)
to it.

I've found it's extremely hard to break without specifically going out
of my way to remove things, usually libraries, that are needed by other
applications. And doing that needs me to override RPM by telling it to
ignore dependency issues.

In all the time I was working at work with Win95, I have not had any
issue with my PC running Windows. None. There were Windows related
problems, but all on the servers after they changed stuff.

So, yes, Linux is more robus, harder to break and easier to repair, but
if you don't do anything special, Windows will also just run.

As mentioned above, you initially need to add a lot of stuff, and with
Win95 that included adding a usable browser, before you could actually
get anything done. IIRC, Win95 came with IE3 and, in at least one case
IE4 on a CD.

3) You do not need to worry about what to charge if anything.

It's quite easy to figure out how much to charge. Look at what the
local computer shops would charge per hour, and base your figures on
that. If it's someone you don't mind helping out, reduce it a bit. If
you'd rather not deal with them, increase it a bit.

Or you can decide what your time is worth. Might be that it is worth a
LOT or nothing at all.

And that would vary person to person. Some people I would value the
time taken to do a repair as worth little. For others I would value it
as being worth a lot.

And you mustn't forget the extras, like adding 50% if they want to keep
a close eye on what you're doing, or a 200% increase if they start
trying to be "helpful" while you're fixing it.

LOL. I have told people to do it themselves if they know better.

So have I.

They have all this annoyance and pain,
have to learn to deal with a variety of changes that happen when
service packs get installed, and the even bigger changes they have when
they upgrade from one version to the next, but they still seem to be
frightened to jump to any of the other Linux distros, all of which have
desktops that are fairly stable.

Service what? That is what they pay that nice PC guy for. And upgrade
from one to another? The PC guy told them their PC could not handle it,
so they buy a new one.

Point taken. In general, PC users are completely stupid.

Okay, for the last year or so KDE had been changing quite a bit, and
there was a very big jump from KDE3 to KDE4, but look how long KDE3 was
stable before that. If KDE4 ends up in a similar state, there's likely
to be several years where the look of the desktop basically won't
change.

No idea. KDE is Evil.

No, that's wrong. Vi is eVIl, KDE just kills puppies. Lots of puppies.

Then when they complain, I just point at them and say "Hah, hah!" and
tell them to please call the Microsoft support for any help.

I usually tell them that if it's bugging them that much, install Linux
and they will find that after a short time getting used to the slightly
different icons and arrangement, most the things they are complaining
about will go away.

I would have told them that already.

No harm in repeating it. It can take a great many repetitions to get
through the thick skulls of some people. For others, it only takes
telling a few times.

And if they really don't want to go to Linux, at the very least ditch
as much of the Microsoft programs as they can. Apart from anything
else, they'll find it easier to jump to Linux in the future as most of
the applications look and work the same under both OSes.

I don't even give that advice. I don't give any advice at all as I
clearly told them I know nothing about Windows.

Most people I know already know I've recently completely wiped my
Windows install, and I was previously using Windows for many years, so
I do have some knowledge. However, that knowledge is limited to XP and
so won't help them with Vista or Windows 7.

I always show my
ignorance by being curious and asking questions and then comment on
their answers.

Interesting methodology.

See if you can see what the questions where and what
their answer was when looking at some of the cvomments:
* And why do you need a virus scanner? Why not make it so you don't need
one?

Interesting. I've no idea.

* Wow, that is pretty expensive for a yearly update for a virus scanner.

Again, no idea.

* So you need admin rights to do that? Isn't that dangerous and makes
you vurlnerable for virusses?

Sounds like something to do with running specific applications and them
not working when run as a normal user.

* Why don't you get at least 4GB of software to install when you pay so
much for it?

Wasn't that the size of Vista on its own?

* So you would not mind if I not pay you as you have no problems not
paying microsoft, right?

That sounds like something you'd say to someone using, or wanting to
use, a cracked copy of some Windows software.

* So you only have two different layouts to choose from how your
programs look like? Why don't they just add several hundred. I mean,
not everybody is the same, right? And you already payed a lot for it.

And again, I have no idea about that one[1].

And I could go on a while. If you are a windows system admin and say I
am wrong on any or all of the asumptions, remember one thing: I know
nothiong about Windows, except what other users tell me. :-D

:-)

[0] Yes, I do still have a single machine with Windows on it. It's an
old laptop that has WinME installed on it, but has SuSE 9.1 installed
alongside it. That machine has not been booted into Windows for several
years.

[1] Although I could say the same about some Linux apps. I'd really
love to have Amarok 2 have the same layout as Amarok 1.4.
Unfortunately, it doesn't.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3M0 32b

.