Re: openSUSE 11.3

Chris Cox <chrisncoxn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 02:06 +0000, Paul J Gans wrote:
That's a matter of opinion. Any major change to the way a system
operates is a serious matter. Not perhaps for hobbiests, but for
folks who use that system in a production environment as I do.

As a result I'm still running 11.1. When that is no longer viable
and I *have* to run a newer system, I will decide if that will
be openSUSE or something else perhaps Gnomish. The learning curve
will be the same for me.

As a long time KDE user... I will say that even though KDE 4 is
different (and lacking in many ways), Gnome is still Gnome and
still leaves you scratching your head and saying "why". That is,
while you might believe that switching to Gnome is possible, it's
still just as broken and bizarre as it's always been. And
Gnome 3 isn't a radical departure, so I don't expect Gnome to
"get it right" anytime soon.

I have only played with Gnome on a portable and I have not done
anything serious with it.

It is the realization that I may well be left high and dry
that has led to my minor upset over this.

--
--- Paul J. Gans

  • An introduction with a request
    ... Let me start with acknowledging that there are a lot of Gnome haters around. ... I know why people don't like it because I see what they *do* like, which is more Windows, only with a Penguin logo pasted on it. ... So, that being said, I'm going to go against what I've read, and assume that you kind folks who have developed Gnome to where it is today are not going to simply ignore feedback- I can see why you would, if people are demanding that your desktop look and feel like Windows 2000, but that's not what I am looking for. ... It doesn't matter when you have plenty of space, but when things start to get tight, no one wants to right-click and select properties every time they need to do something. ...
    (GNOME)
  • Re: [SLE] history
    ... who is the longest standing contributor? ... there's a lot of folks who've been major contributors to the list ... some people still think that the reason gnome was started was ... Also check the archives at http://lists.suse.com ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Comparison of Desktop Environments in F15?
    ... I wasn't aware of any substantial changes to KDE in going from F14 to ... Gnome is another matter. ... What is happening with Gnome3 now is the same thing that was happening with ... the situation is the same as it always was --- Gnome for folks ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: configuring htmlview / gnome default browser
    ... > Hello folks, ... > the options/syntax I can use. ... i basically commented out the gnome and generic browsers. ...
    (Fedora)
  • [SLE] usr-local-bin.org does the SuSE 9.0 Mambo!
    ... greatest GNOME software built for your brand spanking new SuSE ... Enjoy them folks, I know I am! ...
    (SuSE)