Re: WHAT AN INSANE SHIT!!!

In <p8amu5p33tui0sskk8hltfk7tp2qahn2l0@xxxxxxx>, on 05/13/2010
at 01:26 AM, Happy Oyster <happy.oyster@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

You do not realize the extent of the problem.

Nor do you.

Ever tried to save files in Arabic? Or Thai? Or chinese?

Lots of people have.

ALL these languages have NON-STANDARD characters,

No. All of the characters in those languages are standard. ASCII is
not the only standard, and even for German ASCII isn't adequate.

One cause of trouble is idiots, who give there files in the WWW
names with special charactsr (the umlauts are only a minor part).

The problem is not what but when; there are active
internationalization projects. Once the infrastructure is in place it
while be appropriate to use native character sets, properly encoded,
in URL's.

If by tools like wget or idiot browsers like Opera a file is on HDD,
how can you handle it? You even cannot rename it (as was possbile
earlier!), because the idiot OS claims that this file does not
exist.

The problem isn't Opera, it's the idiot who didn't configure his OS
properly.

If you have such a file on HDD, how can you save it to another data
medium as a piece of evidence?

Easily.

Before the idiot stuff like umlauts appeared, the EDP world
functioned.

You're welcome to return to the "good old days"; I'm glad to be rid of
them, TYVM.

reply to spamtrap@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: Character Code Limited Music Symbols
    ... ASCII is a standard that relates numbers, ... The ASCII standard defines characters only for values 0 through 127. ... Anything above 127 is the province of some extended character set ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: Character Code Limited Music Symbols
    ... I've seen the term ASCII a lot, ... ASCII is a standard that relates numbers, ... As far as I know all fonts that have ASCII code assigned to ... characters and symbols follow the ASCII standard. ...
    (microsoft.public.office.misc)
  • Re: Simple high-ascii character encoding
    ... the langauge returns integer values for the standard as ... well as 'extended' ascii characters (as detailed, for example, on ... Generally the extra characters ...
    (comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html)
  • Re: How to debug this?
    ... Yes - global compatibility. ... ASCII - American Standard Code for Information Interchange - is a globally ... As the need for even more characters became apparent, ...
    (microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.vb)
  • Re: Report enhancements
    ... >Specifies a set of 128 control and graphic characters such as letters, ... >The essential features of this format are portability and editability. ... >Allowing binary stuff sabotages the Standard for Information ... There is a standard definition of ASCII text files -- a blend of ISO ...
    (comp.lang.cobol)