Re: VirtualBox loses exec. bit after Yast Online or Manual Update.

Hans wrote:

I am running Suse 11.2 and Sun VirtualBox 3.1.8 r61349 with
a 11.2,
Win2K, Win 32 bit and Win7 64 bit and have a very strange
problem.

- Install VirtualBox, all works fine

- do On-line update (not VirtualBox) or install other
software using Yast.

- Exec bit on /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox is removed.

- Can not start VirtualBox until manually resetting the
exec bit to
allow excecution of /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox.

All other files are not effected.

Does anyone has a similar problem?

Hans
Hi Hans,
may be you need to recompile the kernel modules of
virtualbox, because of an upgrade of the kernel. Please try
as root: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup. This should compile the
kernel modules. But you need to have installed the
development packages!
--
MfG
Eike Neumann

  • Re: [opensuse] Re: virtualbox wont open
    ... I then would use your software install tool to install ... Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS failed ... You'll need to do this in the guest machine too when you get it ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Info : VirtualBox Tutorial
    ... Here are some of the virtualbox notes I have squirreled away. ... For x86_64 installations, you must also install: ... For windows XP as a guest OS 512M of RAM and 10G of virtual hard disk ... Configuring openSuSE 10.3 for USB support in Virtualbox ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] virtualbox wont open
    ... Install the VirtualBox 4.1.10 Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack ... then the virtual disk you ... memory, and enabling 3D acceleration and if you have Windows, 2D ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Running windows programs under Linux
    ... using the para-virtual drivers, called VirtIO, during the Windows ... you'll need to install Windows with two ... I use XEN (similar to KVM in some ways) on my CentOS 5 *desktop*. ... It will run much better/smooth than VirtualBox or VMWare. ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: [opensuse] virtualbox wont open
    ... Install the VirtualBox 4.1.10 Oracle VM VirtualBox ... then the virtual disk you ... so when openSuse is in the PC it is the ...
    (SuSE)