Re: Nenu in CLI

On 27/05/10 16:07, houghi wrote:
http://houghi.eu/s/1SA1CU9

I use this script for the following reason:
When I am on my own machine, I can easily click right on the desktop and
follow the menuitems and start whatever I want.

However when I connect to a machine using `ssh -X` I often have no idea
what programs are on that machine. So I run this script and will be able
to see (Most? All?) of the programs that you would find normally in the
menu's.

Pretty easy to use, I would say. Run it and it will show some programs.
u for up d for down and e.g. 15 to run the program.

Some more technical. It will look in /usr/share/applications, remove
YaST stuff and some cleaning. It will check how large your terminal is
and use that.
It also uses `whatis` to give some extra information. If whatis is not
installed, just change the following line:
INFO=`whatis $CMD|sed 's/: nothing appropriate.//g' |sed 's/(.*)//'`
INFO=$CMD

It should not be to hard to re-write it so your selection is one
keypress, which will allow you to use the up and down keys. I decided
against it, as I now look at the size of the terminal and that would
limit it a bit.
Another thing I did not add, although I though about it was to show how
many pages there where and that you could go to a certain page.

As always, have fun.

houghi

Nice, as alway ;-)

Talking 'ssh -X' I'm struggling with something here. Does someone here
know how to do that?

What I need/want (what's the diff anyway ? ) is to 'take-over' a running
X-session (KDE in my case) via ssh. I don't want to use rdesktop or NX
(because they annoy me in case of rdesktop and being payware and not GPL
in NX's case). I know about the possibility to run 'start-kde' as cmd,
but what I want is to take a _running_ KDE and 'hijack' it (of course
with only positive intentions).

Does anyone know whether this is even possible?

What works on the two machines is 'ssh -X hostname cmd' which will run
cmd (e.g. yast2) on 'hostname' and display it's stuff on client. So the
X-setup and ssh are in place and functional.

--

Kind regards, JT

  • Re: Nenu in CLI
    ... I use this script for the following reason: ... Talking 'ssh -X' I'm struggling with something here. ... What works on the two machines is 'ssh -X hostname cmd' which will run ... system you would like like XCFE or whatever (I think even kde or gnome is ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Nenu in CLI
    ... I use this script for the following reason: ... Talking 'ssh -X' I'm struggling with something here. ... What works on the two machines is 'ssh -X hostname cmd' which will run ... you wish to connect and then connect with vnc client. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • RE: getgroup invalid argument in /var/adm/messages
    ... Sounds like SSH is doing its job then. ... To see how many groups sshd is in use ... this cmd: ... So I will run this script and see if the nagging alarm ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: pppd pty equivilent in FBSD
    ... I let pppd manage retries & setting routes. ... >I wouldn't personally recommend vpn over ssh for anyone either, ... I'm the sole bsd user at my company, and the ppp over ssh ... >Actual bash script I call: ...
    (freebsd-net)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Sessions names
    ... ssh 192.168.2.80??? ... You can write a wrapper script that would start ssh to some ip and rename the ... konsole session dynamically. ... dcop call to konsole you need to know the pid of konsole. ...
    (KDE)