Re: ongoing unexpected inconsistancy

Marty wrote:

Hi all,
I upgraded suse 11.2 to 11.3. Everything went
ok. File system ext4.
There are 4 partitions, one / , one /home and 2
other partitions for
user data - /dev/sda5 - /dev/sda6 and /dev/sda7.

Everything was working ok on 11.2 and for a few days on 11.3.

For
3 days now, after every boot or reboot, the system stops during boot
and
tells me that all 3 user partitions have unexpected inconsistencies,
and
that I have to run fsck manually. The root partition is fine.

provide my root password for login and run 'fsck /dev/sda5' (same for
6
and 7) , no error message then (0.1%, 0.2 and 0.9% non-contiguous), I

reboot with Control-D and the system boots fine.

On the next boot or
reboot the same thing.

I doubt that the hard drive is damaged, it's
fairly new.

I haven't found a solution anywhere, any advice is
appreciated.

Many thanks, Marty

Does this fsck run while the disk is
mounted? At the point of login, I think the disk(s) are all mounted.
use "shutdown -rF now" for a fsck on reboot.
Hope it helps.

And if you
get that smoothed out:
A good SMART utility could offer some insight into
your drives once you get going. Used "gsmartcontrol" all throughout 11.2
and now 11.3 and it continues to work as smooth as it's Windows
counterpart.

FYI: I just had 3 new drives, fresh from the local comp
supermarket, refuse to mount. Western Digital shot 3 replacements back to
me in 3 days, all of which worked. Can't believe I went 3 bad out of 3 new
ones, but it happens.

  • Re: Windows XP hangs at (start-up) Logo, but will start in safe mode
    ... I have reinstalled xp home and pro several ... I found a problem with the partitions but that did not help. ... Norton system works disk and schedule a fix on reboot it fixes ... Windows will then boot. ...
  • ongoing unexpected inconsistancy
    ... File system ext4. ... For 3 days now, after every boot or reboot, the system stops during boot and ... tells me that all 3 user partitions have unexpected inconsistencies, ... reboot with Control-D and the system boots fine. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: Partitions mounted as read-only
    ... > after upgrading my Debina sarge system my partitions are mounted as ... > with every new reboot. ... Is your previous kernel still available in the boot menu? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Need to to Delete Format and Install
    ... I want to delete my partitions reformat my hd and re-install windows XP. ... "Windows can't modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot ... So I thought I'd put my Windows XP cd in, power down and reboot. ...
  • Re: XP Install Question
    ... Boot to a win9x floppy boot disk, run Fdisk, delete partitions, create new ... partitions, reboot to boot disk again, run format, boot to xp cd. ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)