Re: DVD does not work but CD works

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:08:08 +0000, Rob wrote:

Prof. Filipe <prof.fmpaiva@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My computer does not read DVDs any more, it does not even recognize
that the DVD is there. It also take ages to eject the DVD, may be
because it does not know that the DVD is there. Nevertheless, a CD
works without any problem. I'm using opensuse 11.3 and KDE 4.4.4
release 3

Try to boot from a DVD, e.g. your opensuse 11.3 installation DVD.

When that doesn't work, you have a hardware defect, not an issue with
your Linux installation.

I would guess a hardware issue. I had exactly the same problem in
reverse (ie the DVD worked, but CDs didn't). I had assumed both systems
used the same lens hardware, but apparently this is not the case, and one
can fail without affecting the other. In my case a substitute drive
robbed from another machine proved to completely correct the problems,
resulting in a permanent substitution of a new one.

Keith
.