Re: DVD does not work but CD works

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:08:08 +0000, Rob wrote:

Prof. Filipe <prof.fmpaiva@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
My computer does not read DVDs any more, it does not even recognize
that the DVD is there. It also take ages to eject the DVD, may be
because it does not know that the DVD is there. Nevertheless, a CD
works without any problem. I'm using opensuse 11.3 and KDE 4.4.4
release 3

Try to boot from a DVD, e.g. your opensuse 11.3 installation DVD.

When that doesn't work, you have a hardware defect, not an issue with
your Linux installation.

I would guess a hardware issue. I had exactly the same problem in
reverse (ie the DVD worked, but CDs didn't). I had assumed both systems
used the same lens hardware, but apparently this is not the case, and one
can fail without affecting the other. In my case a substitute drive
robbed from another machine proved to completely correct the problems,
resulting in a permanent substitution of a new one.

Keith

  • Re: HD-DVD doch erst =?ISO-8859-1?Q?n=E4chstes?= Jahr
    ... > Und genau das fehlt im Moment eben völlig und zeichnet sich noch ... > ``einfach'' wie sich der neue Kopierschutz wird knacken lassen). ... die den siegeszug der DVD ... leider komplett an Hardware. ...
    (de.rec.film.heimkino)
  • Re: Keynote (Mac ) 1 - PowerPoint (win) 0
    ... PowerPoint in win e doveva farne un DVD video. ... ma se non ci sono cose strane è ... risparmiare "hardware dedicato"). ... Usare hardware dedicato per esportare il segnale video del e ...
    (it.comp.macintosh)
  • Re: Building a new desktop: hardware advice
    ... will output DVD and MPEG movies to the TV). ... Debian community's opinion regarding my hardware selection, ... (we need both IDE and SATA, as my current 500GB hard drives are IDE) ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: TSSTcorp DVD Code 41 - DVD not playing and yellow icon
    ... "Lan Trouble" wrote in message ... successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the ... " when viewing the DVD in Device manager. ... The WinInquiery.exe from Samsung also ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)