Re: finding cause of reboot

On 2011-09-06, graham <graham.marsden1@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 05 Sep 2011 17:34:19 -0600, GeorgeW wrote:

Open Suse 11.3 64
Mouse freezes and system reboots about 4 seconds later. Happens about
every 4 to 6 hours of operation. It happens with no user software
running. It happens even if I'm not here.
Happened with Suse 11.2
Dual boot. Happens in windows.
Changed hard drive.
Changed video card.
Tested memory with Memtest.
How do I track this down in Linux?
I know nothing of debug. Is this what debug is for? I sure would like to
know exactly what is happening in the seconds before it snaps.

The first thing to do before trying others suggestions is to clean
everything.
Remove the dust clogging up the cpu and the power supply and also the
slots on the case. Loosen the memory cards and re fix. Maybe unplug leads
and re plug.
If this makes no difference then try the other solutions.

Certainly if your power supply is going, or your motherboard has a loose
connection, there will be absolutely no warning anywhere of what
happened. Ie, there is no way of knowing what is going on.

Now you could have something monitor the voltages on the various buses
and the various internal temperatures say once a minute and save to a
file, and see if there is anything unusual which happens just before the
crash (temperatures rise, voltages drop,...)

  • Re: finding cause of reboot
    ... Tested memory with Memtest. ... I know nothing of debug. ... I have seen machines that act that way and it is nothing more that power company brownouts or spikes that are just enough to trip out the machine, yet not even noticeable to the human eye. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: finding cause of reboot
    ... It happens with no user software ... Changed video card. ... Tested memory with Memtest. ... I know nothing of debug. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)