Re: Query on ip link set

On Sep 20, 4:07 am, Why Tea <ytl...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
When "ip link set DEVICE DOWN" has been issued on a
network interface, will it be persistent? (i.e. will
it be reset to UP after a system reboot?)

/WT

Did you set it down using ifdown? yast? or did it set itself down
because the cable/wireless connection was missing a partner?

- yast would be persistent
- ifdown would not be persistent over a boot, the same applies to a
wireless connection
- a wired connection could well set itself up during a session unless
the assumptions it made before things went pear-shaped were now
wrong. Example? I have an A/B switch for two ISPs. If I switch
between the two, I need to issue ifdown+ifup to get things to switch.

I am sure it is possibe to set things up so that the above does not
apply, but hell - ymmv.

  • Re: [opensuse] Network does not start automatically nor manually after reboot (openSUSE 10.3)
    ... The connection seems to be activated through ... But no chance to get it started without yast. ... time he boot to connect to wifi. ... recognize the switch. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] KPPP Nonsense
    ... In general SuSE additions, to Linux are configured via Yast. ... Internet connection is no exception. ... Your comment that SuSE lost the definitions for the Printer and Internet ...
    (SuSE)
  • [opensuse] Changed provider - Yast DNS problems
    ... I have today changed Internet provider and found that Internet configuration ... Previously I had PPPoE connection, now I have a direct connection to Internet. ... Any changes in Yast did not affect the problem. ...
    (SuSE)
  • [SLE] extremely slow Yast-Update
    ... installed packages in Yast and checked "update all with never versions", ... including all the KDE stuff. ... then there is a short connection for half a second or so and then ... as Yast sources for the KDE stuff. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: routing settings dont stick
    ... |sharing a connection with an XP machine. ... |everything works well until I need to reboot the linux box, ... |firewall utility in yast. ... my SuSe box has successfully connected with the XP one ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)