Re: Cannot run X over ssh (it's fine now)

On 2011-09-30, houghi <houghi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
J G Miller wrote:
I'm getting nowhere when sometimes something works and sometimes not. Or
rather on some machines works, others not.

Is that a possibly maybe or maybe not, or only sometimes but never always?

I'm doing this wrong, I'm sure, but how is it supposed to be done?

Could be that your problem is your .Xauthority file has not been
created or has been deleted.

I conect first normally ssh -X or ssh -Y, same results:

tester@lamborghini:~> xclock
Error: Can't open display:
tester@lamborghini:~>

Then after removing .Xauthority:

tester@lamborghini:~> l .Xauthority
ls: cannot access .Xauthority: No such file or directory

tester@lamborghini:~> xclock
Error: Can't open display:
tester@lamborghini:~>

init 3
init 5

tester@lamborghini:~> l .Xauthority
-rw------- 1 mcman users 203 30.9. 09:45 .Xauthority

tester@lamborghini:~> xclock
Error: Can't open display:
tester@lamborghini:~>

If I do all the above sitting _at_ the client in _local_ terminal there
xeyes, fine
xclock, fine

ssh -X localhost
ssh -Y localhost
xeyes
Error: Can't open display:

So I go at the client
ssh -X lambo
export DISPLAY=:0.0
tester@lamborghini:~> xclock

The clock is there, on lambo's screen. Or the eyes.

I'm too old for this shit. And very lonely, too.

I didn't quite think so but I'm apparently better off with this:
http://waxborg.servepics.com/wpg2?g2_itemId=5752

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64) 2.6.31.14-0.8-default "Evergreen" main host

  • Re: Cannot run X over ssh (its fine now)
    ... tester@lamborghini:~> xclock ... Error: Can't open display: ... Then after removing .Xauthority: ... Immediately after ssh -X lamborghini, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: [opensuse] ssh -X localhost. Solution: enable IPv6
    ... Error: Can't open display: ... on my work server from home to run xclock and xcalc. ... forgot to mention that I can use ssh -X on 11.4 to connect to SLES servers and run graphic apps. ... So this would lead me to believe there's a problem with the ssh server config on my station. ...
    (SuSE)
  • problem with xhost...
    ... i use my computer a to connect to b with ssh that run well ... Error: Can't open display: ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: X11 forwarding setup correctly?
    ... before I go asking my sys admin to change ssh ... forwarding poses a risk because someone who ... X11 display, as well as see my keystrokes. ... who but me can access my Xauthority? ...
    (comp.security.ssh)
  • Re: ssh -X Error: Cant open display: :0.0
    ... I cannot get xclock to run on a remote host ... from my ssh session: ... vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow: bad X server connection. ...
    (Debian-User)