Re: fsck on encrypted volume?

"Markus R." Keßler wrote:

Am Sat, 05 Nov 2011 18:40:58 +0000 schrieb Günther Schwarz:

this was what I originally had been hoping. In my opinion it only makes
sense to set up a system which is this fragile, that the OS is no longer
bootable if the battery pack fails and the OS is down, if you are always
make backups and easily restore them.

This is best practice for any system but crucial for mobile devices and
encrypted file systems. Then for mobile devices with encrypted
filesystems...

In this case you only have to reinstall the bootloader and setup the
relevant partitions / LVMs, mount the encrypted partitions from a live
CD and copy all the data back. Without encryption this works fine and I
had done this several times yet.

But in this case I get nothing but error messages when I try to "open"
the encrypted volume/s and mount them somewhere. From the install DVD I
use:

$ cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 root

# ==> no error

$ mount /dev/mapper/root /mnt
mount: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'

Did you load the kernel module for LVM? Without access to the volume
group you won't be able to mount the volume or do a file system check on
it.
IMHO the SUSE rescue system is crap. Still the LVM kernel modules are
available, but might have to be installed manually. I once used an Ubuntu
CD and installed the LVM packages into the live system which allowed for
mounting the volumes also. Might be worth a try but needs an internet
connection.

Günther

  • Re: fsck on encrypted volume?
    ... Without encryption this works fine and I ... the encrypted volume/s and mount them somewhere. ... Did you load the kernel module for LVM? ... I tried to activate eth0 in rescue mode to be able to copy ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: How to rescue an encrypted root filesystem?
    ... I tried to upgrade from f10 to f11, and it seems to have failed. ... I mount the hard disk? ... What encryption method did f10 use by default ... You would probably have better luck booting with the F10 install ...
    (Fedora)
  • Installing Lenny on LVM using debootstrap
    ... I followed the instruction in Appendix D of the installation manual, but they seem to have changed since I installed Lenny the first time and there is no mention of how to install on LVM volumes. ... but I can not access the LVM volumes to mount them within the chroot. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • to lvm or not to lvm?
    ... After installing fresh Etch with encrypted lvm, ... non-expert install, I am reconsidering whether lvm is a good idea. ... The only partition that seems to be accessible from a sarge system on ... And does encryption of lvm partitions unnecessarily complicate matters, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Cannot mount old drive with LVM partition - help!
    ... I want to mount /dev/hdb2, that is where the LVM is located, containing ... I don't remember being asked if I wanted LVM or not. ... and took the default install and ended up with an LVM again. ... Disk /dev/hda: 200.0 GB, 200049647616 bytes ...
    (alt.os.linux)