Re: fsck on encrypted volume?

"Markus R." Keßler wrote:

Am Sat, 05 Nov 2011 18:40:58 +0000 schrieb Günther Schwarz:

this was what I originally had been hoping. In my opinion it only makes
sense to set up a system which is this fragile, that the OS is no longer
bootable if the battery pack fails and the OS is down, if you are always
make backups and easily restore them.

This is best practice for any system but crucial for mobile devices and
encrypted file systems. Then for mobile devices with encrypted
filesystems...

In this case you only have to reinstall the bootloader and setup the
relevant partitions / LVMs, mount the encrypted partitions from a live
CD and copy all the data back. Without encryption this works fine and I
had done this several times yet.

But in this case I get nothing but error messages when I try to "open"
the encrypted volume/s and mount them somewhere. From the install DVD I
use:

$ cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda2 root

# ==> no error

$ mount /dev/mapper/root /mnt
mount: unknown filesystem type 'LVM2_member'

Did you load the kernel module for LVM? Without access to the volume
group you won't be able to mount the volume or do a file system check on
it.
IMHO the SUSE rescue system is crap. Still the LVM kernel modules are
available, but might have to be installed manually. I once used an Ubuntu
CD and installed the LVM packages into the live system which allowed for
mounting the volumes also. Might be worth a try but needs an internet
connection.

Günther
.