snapshot

In 12.1, I used btrfs for /srv and /home, and am trying to figure out
how to use snapshot. Yast installed it and the Yast tool, but it is
not initialized properly.
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Snapper_install is for 11.4. I tried
jarfx:/srv # btrfs subvolume create /snapshots
Create subvolume '//snapshots'
ERROR: cannot create subvolume - Inappropriate ioctl for device

and from http://lizards.opensuse.org/2011/04/01/introducing-snapper/
tried
jarfx:/srv # snapper create --description "initial"
Config 'root' not found.

In /etc/snapper/configs, I have three files: root (which is ext4),
srv, and home
After making the root file, I tried again and get
jarfx:/etc/snapper/config-templates # snapper create --description
"initial"
'snapper::ProgramNotInstalledException'
what(): /sbin/chsnap not installed

and indeed, there is no /sbin/chsnap, and there is none in software
management.

So, how does one get this to work?

  • Ooops in BTRFS in 2.6.34 / x86_64 when mounting subvolume by name
    ... i would like to report to you an Ooops in btrfs when mounting a subvolume by ... only changes i made were to compile BTRFS static and not as a module. ... installing i used xfs as root filesystem from where i could then copy the data ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Ooops in BTRFS in 2.6.34 / x86_64 when mounting subvolume by name
    ... for your bug report, please add your address to the CC list in there, thanks! ... only changes i made were to compile BTRFS static and not as a module. ... installing i used xfs as root filesystem from where i could then copy the ... data to the btrfs subvolume. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: btrfs subvolume as an iSCSI target?
    ... regarding using a btrfs subvolume as an iSCSI target are posts from the ... 2009/2010 timeframe stating that that functionality is broken. ...
    (Fedora)
  • BTRFS/Rollback & Yum Snapshot Plugin
    ... I'm playing around with btrfs. ... installation I did: ... #btrfs subvolume list / ... I wanted to permanently run off these snapshots ...
    (Fedora)
  • btrfs subvolume as an iSCSI target?
    ... I've been combing the web for a couple days, and most hits I'm finding regarding using a btrfs subvolume as an iSCSI target are posts from the 2009/2010 timeframe stating that that functionality is broken. ... The traditional methods, specifically those mentioned in the Fedora Wiki and the tgtadm man pages, place the emphasis on using devices ...
    (Fedora)