Re: GRUB Error

On 12/13/2011 07:54 AM, Eef Hartman wrote:
Jozsi<horvath.jozsef001@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hallo NG!

can to LINUX beginner an advice you give?
I have to my laptop the following message:

GRUB Loader
Error 17

From the (grub legacy, the one used in openSUSE 11.x) manual:
17 : Cannot mount selected partition
This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but
the filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.

So probably your root (or boot) partition is of a type that
grub doesn't support, like ext4 or btrfs.

PS: the grub (legacy) manual is at
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/legacy

My system has / as ext4 and /boot is not a separate partition so it is ext4 throughout the grub directory. It has no problem with grub booting into 12.1 or 11.4, a different partition using ext4.

I have no ext2 which is what is recommended if /boot is a separate partition. Everything except extension and swap are ext4.

Apparently the grub manual is out of date or referring to those systems with a separate /boot partition.

John

.