Re: GRUB Error

On 12/13/2011 07:54 AM, Eef Hartman wrote:
Jozsi<horvath.jozsef001@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hallo NG!

can to LINUX beginner an advice you give?
I have to my laptop the following message:

GRUB Loader
Error 17

From the (grub legacy, the one used in openSUSE 11.x) manual:
17 : Cannot mount selected partition
This error is returned if the partition requested exists, but
the filesystem type cannot be recognized by GRUB.

So probably your root (or boot) partition is of a type that
grub doesn't support, like ext4 or btrfs.

PS: the grub (legacy) manual is at
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/legacy

My system has / as ext4 and /boot is not a separate partition so it is ext4 throughout the grub directory. It has no problem with grub booting into 12.1 or 11.4, a different partition using ext4.

I have no ext2 which is what is recommended if /boot is a separate partition. Everything except extension and swap are ext4.

Apparently the grub manual is out of date or referring to those systems with a separate /boot partition.

John

  • Re: Howto fix grub after converting to reiserfs
    ... The initial load of grub is done by the BIOS, which reads the boot sectors for additional information for the boot process. ... If you still have problems, and can come up with a small bit of additional disk space, near the beginning of the disk, create a separate partition for /boot and format it as ext3, move all the files from your existing subdirectory into this new partition, edit the menu.lst file to remove all references to '/boot', edit fstab to do a mount of this partition on /boot, and reboot. ... it will perform a full install presuming the Stage 2 or Stage 1.5^10 is in its final install location. ... 0, Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0x16 ...
    (Debian-User)
  • fixing grub : mbr fix when windows install after linux
    ... "There is not a boot manager screen at all, ... windows but GRUB boot window does not appear. ... "I forgot to install GRUB, I didn't install GRUB in the MBR, I chose ... Fedora but that was not an active primary partition". ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Dual boot problem
    ... The install went smoothly but when the computer restarted it ... went straight into Windows XP and the Grub Bootloader did not appear! ... One produced the same problem) For some reason the Grub bootloader had ... install GRUB on the first track on the partition where I installed ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: [opensuse] booting 11.2 - more info
    ... installing to any system that has distro versioninstalled that may not ... time before I try ext4. ... Grub tells type 0x83 because ... instead of ext4 as the boot/root partition format. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Howto fix grub after converting to reiserfs
    ... First, to rephrase a bit of what shell says the problem is, highly simplified. ... The initial load of grub is done by the BIOS, which reads the boot sectors for additional information for the boot process. ... If you still have problems, and can come up with a small bit of additional disk space, near the beginning of the disk, create a separate partition for /boot and format it as ext3, move all the files from your existing subdirectory into this new partition, edit the menu.lst file to remove all references to '/boot', edit fstab to do a mount of this partition on /boot, and reboot. ... it will perform a full install presuming the Stage 2 or Stage 1.5^10 is in its final install location. ...
    (Debian-User)