[SOLVED!] Re: Questions About v. 12.1

On 01/05/2012 11:43 PM, tb wrote:
I just updated from openSUSE 11.4 to 12.1 (64-bit, KDE desktop
environment). Everything went just fine, nevertheless I have a couple of
questions:

1) I upgraded by booting up with an install DVD. When the installation
screen came up, I selected "Update an Existing System". One of the
upgrade screens informed me that old files would be backed up but did
not say where and under what name(s). Does anyone know this information?

2) When I launch the Konsole terminal the computer name shown is:
<username>@PartedMagic:~>
I have used PartedMagic's live CD for partitioning and formatting my
hard drive in the past, but I don't recall to ever have assigned the
name "PartedMagic" to my computer. Anyhow, I would like to change that
name. How do I do it?

Thanks.

1) Backed up files are in different subdirectories and have the suffix "old"; a few other backed up files do not have the "old" suffix but are in /var/adm/backup/*.

2) YaST -> Network Settings -> Hostname/DNS, edit Hostname and Domain Name.
--
tb

  • Re: Upgrade from 98 (not 98SE) hangs up
    ... I am having the same issue trying to install XP Pro on an IBM A21m laptop. ... When I try booting from the CD to do the install the laptop hangs. ... these usually show up as soon as I start the upgrade - at one point I was ...
  • Re: How do i reinstall windows if i havent got the cd-rom?
    ... Buy an inexpensive copy of Windows 98 someplace like eBay. ... will qualify you to use the XP upgrade on the new drive. ... installation by booting from the XP CD, then insert the Windows 98 CD ... Exactly what I tried but see my post about Install Loop. ...
  • Re: iNSTALLING XP
    ... jIM wrote: ... How do I upgrade? ... This sounds as if you may be booting the CD. ... In its Autorun take install, ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: how to upgrade from 1/06 to 6/06?
    ... I downloaded the x86 DVD image, but I can't find a way to update my ... current 1/06 installation when booting from the DVD. ... end up in the regular install process. ... How do I upgrade my system? ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Web vs. Desktop based systems
    ... provider with better privacy policy (perhaps Yahoo) also provides ... to other folder or reporting spam or changing the filter recipes. ... But how do you *really* know the important upgrade that keeps ... The alert-window doesn't exactly say *why* you need to install this ...
    (comp.programming)