cron cifs and jobs being executed later as the crontab say they would

Suse 10.2

uname -a

Linux mymachine 2.6.16.46-0.12-smp #1 SMP Thu May 17 14:00:09 UTC 2007
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I have a cron job which copies a backup to a remote site.

This job dd's a file to gzip and then to a cifs mounted filesystem.

When i get network problems i see in /var/log/messages:

Jan 25 00:08:00 mymachine kernel: CIFS VFS: server not responding

Jan 25 00:08:00 mymachine kernel: CIFS VFS: server not responding

Jan 25 00:08:00 mymachine kernel: CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 47 mid
52797

Jan 25 00:08:00 mymachine kernel: CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 47 mid
52799

Jan 25 00:08:00 mymachine kernel: CIFS VFS: Write2 ret -11, written =
0

Jan 25 00:08:00 mymachine kernel: CIFS VFS: No response to cmd 47 mid
52798

Jan 25 00:08:10 mymachine kernel: CIFS VFS: Write2 ret -112, written
= 0

Jan 25 00:08:20 mymachine kernel: CIFS VFS: Write2 ret -112, written
= 0

Jan 25 02:17:28 mymachine kernel: CIFS VFS: No response for cmd 162
mid 53112

Jan 25 02:18:31 mymachine sshd[12765]: Accepted publickey for me2 from
<myip> port <myport> ssh2

Also in there i see the cron jobs to be started later; eq a message is
printed in
the syslog that the job is being executed.

However the cron starting the jobs later as it supposed to start them,

because the jobs in question do write their own log file and tell me
that they were started later then 02:18:31.

i have configured in the cron for these jobs to start at 1:45 and 2:00

So it seems that cron executes jobs to late???

i do not have anything else like how much the cpu load was etc.

i only know and see that there were network issues.

The question is does anyone have a similar experience???

it seems to be related at mymachine kernel: CIFS VFS

whenever the messages to the messages file stop appearing, the cron
starts working...

in this case at 2:18, the one from 1:45 started at 2:18 and the one
from 2:00 started at
2:19.

This is the second time it occurred and i am planing to change the job
so it does copy
it first to a linux box and then from there to cifs because i can not
afford to have the cron
start jobs late....

Comments are more then welcome

Superboer.

  • Re: daily cron jobs: setting time of day, how?
    ... > Which cron daemon are you running? ... > Vixie cron - this runs jobs at the scheduled hour. ... > anacron - runs jobs within a period ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: System mail (Fedora 20)
    ... as I tripped up on this once I got my old cron jobs transfered over to this install. ... Some cron config file is set to use sendmail for the MAILTO= option. ... Lars has pointed out that logwatch config is coded to use sendmail. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: centralized cron
    ... >>hundreds of servers, each with their own cron jobs set up, and would ... Using ssh to run crontab ... You're talking about a "job scheduling" software package. ...
    (comp.unix.admin)
  • Re: centralized cron
    ... >>hundreds of servers, each with their own cron jobs set up, and would ... Using ssh to run crontab ... You're talking about a "job scheduling" software package. ...
    (comp.unix.questions)
  • Re: job in crontab not running
    ... Are your servers "slow" such as on a remote network or otherwise ... Without NSCD running cron jobs fail to run, ...
    (Debian-User)