opensuse 11.3: How to recover graphical bootmenu

Hi all,

after successfully restoring a clonezilla drive image containing a
multiboot opensuse 11.3/Windows 7 system due to a dissatisfying opensuse
12.1 update installation all seems to work properly except that my
GRAPHICAL opensuse 11.3 boot menu no longer appears at system startup.
When I start my machine, I'm always seeing the simple "text-based" boot
menu.

Moreover, when I immediately (that is, without showing the boot menu at
startup) want to reboot from the KDE shutdown dialog into a desired OS
partition (either Windows or openSUSE) the boot menu appears anyway. As
you might know you can configure this "boot-through" behaviour by
selecting "grub" in the "KDE system settings" for the login manager.

Here's a list of my attempts to recover the graphical boot menu so far:

1) From the opensuse 11.3 rescue system (booted by opensuse DVD) I
successfully "chroot"ed into /dev/sda6 and successfully called
"grub-install(.unsupported) /dev/sda"

2) From within YAST I deinstalled, rebooted and reinstalled the
previously installed "gfxboot" and "gfxboot-branding.openSUSE" packages

All those attempts had no success.

Does anyone know how to recover my GRAPHICAL boot menu without
completely reinstalling openSUSE 11.3?

You may want to take a look at my grub's (legacy) menu.lst file (my
opensuse root/boot partition is /dev/sda6, there is only one HDD
installed, the file /boot/message does exist, of course):

# Modified by YaST2. Last modification on Sa Feb 4 15:55:14 CET 2012
# THIS FILE WILL BE PARTIALLY OVERWRITTEN by perl-Bootloader
# Configure custom boot parameters for updated kernels in
/etc/sysconfig/bootloader

default 0
timeout 8
gfxmenu (hd0,5)/boot/message
##YaST - activate

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: linux###
title Desktop -- openSUSE 11.3 - 2.6.34.10-0.6
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34.10-0.6-desktop
root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3750528AS_9VP3NZ73-part6
resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3750528AS_9VP3NZ73-part5 splash=silent
quiet showopts vga=0x31a
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.34.10-0.6-desktop

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: failsafe###
title Failsafe -- openSUSE 11.3 - 2.6.34.10-0.6
root (hd0,5)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34.10-0.6-desktop
root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3750528AS_9VP3NZ73-part6 showopts apm=off
noresume edd=off powersaved=off nohz=off highres=off
processor.max_cstate=1 nomodeset x11failsafe vga=0x31a
initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.34.10-0.6-desktop

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: windows 1###
title Windows 7 Pro
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

###Don't change this comment - YaST2 identifier: Original name: floppy###
title Diskette
rootnoverify (fd0)
chainloader +1

Any hints are greatly appreciated.

kind regards,
Bernd

  • Re: [Fwd: Re: [opensuse] Boot magic]
    ... Since I installed some milestones I can no longer boot the partition I want. ... I wanted to the view the progression in OpenSuse and I had a free partition so ... I installed on part3 milestone 6 with its own boot directory in the rootdir. ...
    (SuSE)
  • creating a bootable 8 gig flash for the opensuse 11 install dvd
    ... I want to install openSUSE 11 from a bootable fash drive and I can't seem ... When I try to boot it, it says can't boot hdd or something of that affect. ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: [opensuse] Network install not available?
    ... did not have a TRUE network installation ... is compatible enough with my current OS so that I can install 13.1. ... port with a single laptop install openSuse? ... Do you have an example device in mind that can't boot from external ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [Fwd: Re: [opensuse] Boot magic]
    ... Since I installed some milestones I can no longer boot the partition I want. ... I wanted to the view the progression in OpenSuse and I had a free partition so ... I only use the milestone 6 grub environment against my will. ...
    (SuSE)