Re: Substitute for the old kpackage

On 05/26/2012 05:34 AM, PaulRS wrote:
I miss the old "kpackage" as I used it to find file locations in
specific RPM packages and to see the contents of an RPM graphically
before I installed it (or NOT). The new kpackagekit just jumps right
to install. I did a "help" on it, but could not see any way of
configuring it. Dolphin also jumps to kpackageKIT rather than lets me
explore.

So is there a graphical substitue for the old "kpackage." My current
workaround was to install it from my old 10.3 distribution. Guess I
was "lucky" it found the dependencies. This does work, but there is a
hole for me in the newer distributions that kpackage filled.

i uninstalled kpackagekit on 11.3 and 11.4 because it is troublesome (and many/most of the helpers on the openSUSE forums do the same--check it out)..

and its look-alike on 12.1 is named apper, which has the same troubles, so many recommend it either be disabled (right click on the panel icon, and . . .) or uninstalled (using YaST or zypper)..

the features you seek (peering inside RPM prior to install) are all in YaST Software Management or YaST Online Update (YOU)....in fact, once you have banished packagekit you will need to run YOU occasionally to check to see if there are updates available for your system..

--
dd

  • Re: Substitute for the old kpackage
    ... specific RPM packages and to see the contents of an RPM graphically ... Dolphin also jumps to kpackageKIT rather than lets me ... workaround was to install it from my old 10.3 distribution. ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: JDK
    ... you cannot install RPM packages the same way you do on a Red Hat or CentOS machine. ... Webupd8 has very well maintained PPA to easily get Oracle Java installed and running with just a few commands. ... Here are the 3 commands you need to run assuming you haven't screwed up your system too badly trying to install an RPM on a Debian/Ubuntu system,;). ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: .rpm files have no association
    ... IMO, Default on the Internet should be download where you can inspect, ... install and archive. ... Most rpm packages will already be installed by yum or ... Most you will want to install from a command line (rpm ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: installing tar.gz files
    ... > on Extract.. ... All the applications in the SuSE cds/dvds are in rpm ... To learn how to install rpm packages, ... You can also install them with Yast, clicking on the rpm icon, and then on ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: How can I install two versions of the same program simultaneously?
    ... you can install the rpm package: ... can I then install rpm packages without converting them ... synaptic will not know about the RPM database. ...
    (Ubuntu)