Re: Is C/C++ dead? C# and .NET the future?

From: Alan Hughes (nospam_at_nospam.com)
Date: 07/23/03

Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:27:47 +0100

Jeff wrote:

> I had a disturbing conversation with an old friend this afternoon who I
> haven't seen in a while. He is currently being retrained as a C# and .NET
> programmer. He was once one of the better C programmers I knew. Now he
> says languages like that are dead and that the future belongs to the
> direction C# and .NET are headed.
>
> What's this all about? Anyone know? All I can tell from the little bit of
> searchng I've done on it is that it's a Microsoft development, which
> doesn't bode well I am sure. What's the word on the street?
>
> -Jeff

Just think of two things. C# and .NET exist on one platform only - Windows.
Not only that but C#/.NET has basically made no inroads into (for example)
Java applications which (according to MS spin doctors) it would completely
replace within at most a couple of years.

Now draw your own conclussions.

I'm afraid your friend has adopted the party line. Take pity on him.

Relevant Pages