Re: Video Card Q

From: David (thunderbolt01_at_netscape.net)
Date: 07/25/03

Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:08:42 GMT

Spam Bait wrote:

> As an ATI owner ( Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO) I would recommend strongly
> against buying an ATI.
> Many features of the card are unsupported under Linux:
> - tv-out not supported for legal reasons
> - rage-theatre chip ( video capture, tuning, xv ) not supported due ATI
> not releasing docs for the new chips in over a year ( don't even respond
> to request for docs now )
> - hyper-z and other more advanced features never to be supported
> - questionable future of ANY support for 3D features
> - s3 texture compression not supported due to patent issues
>
> There is the option of using ATI's binary drivers, but they are NOT for
> gaming - they are for 3D rendering on the FireGL boardsm and they just
> happen to kinda work on Radeons. They don't support tv-out or the rage
> theatre chip either.
>
> ATI basically do not consider the Linux market to be worth serious
> consideration, other than for their FireGL cards.
>
> Buy an nVidia. Their drivers are very good - although they're
> binary-only, but at least they a) exist and b) work ). The nVidia
> drivers support basically everything that works under Windows, including
> tv-out and xv support ( for hardware scaling of movies and other
> multimedia stuff ).

Thanks for the reply,
I had found another post saying that ATI was one to stay away
from so Now I have another question.

I have an old ViewSonic PS790 19" monitor which is still in
excellent condition and don't want to damage it or a new video
card. Is an nVidia going to cause problems with this monitor?

The nVidia GeForce 5200 or 5600 uses 60-200 Vsync at low to
medium resolutions and my monitor uses 50-180 Vsync. So is this
combination going to work without any problems or do I need a
video card with Vsync rates within the monitors Vsync range?

--
Confucius:  He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
Registered with The Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org/

Relevant Pages

  • Re: redhat vs debian
    ... I think maybe in terms of video games Linux is week, ... I have UT 2003 and did successfully install it on my RH linux box. ... Finally I switched back the original video card and rebooted. ... monitor and the gforce card. ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?
    ... ATI in particular. ... > the Linux and Open Source community never stepped up to the plate to ... > explained to me for why ATI decided to give up on the Open Source ... > users probably won't pay a premium to get a 3D card that is slower than ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Opinion: NVIDIA drivers are a BAD Thing [tm]
    ... >> source drivers, we are pretty much stuck with the situation. ... > the community and trying to push X and Linux integration forward. ... ATI has not changed. ... > the right to either make the chip themselves or to sell the card ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Linux doesnt work!
    ... If you're a gamer and you have an ATI card, ... When you use Linux, you learn pretty quick that your desktop computer is not a machine to run the Hadron Collider: if something goes wrong, you just open it. ... or install it from the graphical interface: ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Opinion: NVIDIA drivers are a BAD Thing [tm]
    ... >>Apparently you've never heard of ATI. ... >> the community and trying to push X and Linux integration forward. ... >> the right to either make the chip themselves or to sell the card ... problem with ATI's driver support in linux. ...
    (Fedora)