Re: confused with BASH shell in Redhat

From: /dev/rob0 (rob0_at_gmx.co.uk)
Date: 08/22/03

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 06:33:10 -0700

[comp.unix.shell, which I do not read, added, followup-to set there]
In article <bi50pu$1pm6$2@mail.cn99.com>, Ka wrote:
> I am confused with Bash, why ?

All that crossposting, yet you somehow missed comp.unix.shell. Why?

Try this:
    http://www.google.com/search?as_q=bash+tutorial&as_oq=beginner+newbie+starting

> I am now confused with bash even I have played with it very well~~~
> what is wrong ??

You didn't play as well as you thought. :)

Despite being way off topic (in c.o.l.networking, where I read it) I'll
give you your answer.
    rob0@obrien:~$ mkdir '\-=New Game=\-'
    rob0@obrien:~$ echo "$_"
    \-=New Game=\-
    rob0@obrien:~$ cd "$_"
    rob0@obrien:~/\-=New Game=\-$ cd
    rob0@obrien:~$ rmdir "$_"
    rob0@obrien:~$ echo 'good riddance to non-standard filename characters!'

The problem is that the backslashes themselves either need another
backslash (escape), or quoting. Notice the use of escapes and quoting
above: single- and double-quotes act differently.

--
  /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
  or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply

Relevant Pages

  • Re: confused with BASH shell in Redhat
    ... All that crossposting, ... The problem is that the backslashes themselves either need another ... backslash (escape), or quoting. ... Notice the use of escapes and quoting ...
    (comp.os.linux.networking)
  • Re: confused with BASH shell in Redhat
    ... All that crossposting, ... The problem is that the backslashes themselves either need another ... backslash (escape), or quoting. ... Notice the use of escapes and quoting ...
    (comp.unix.shell)
  • Re: pygame music, cant read mp3?
    ... format is to use backslashes as separators, ... escaped in python's regular string literals, ... only because you've been lucky in not having escape characters following ... Notice that the \ gets doubled automatically by python in many ...
    (comp.lang.python)
  • Re: Reading Text Files
    ... Did not your compiler generate some mandatory diagnostics on ... escape sequences invoking undefined behaviour. ... the OP is not using C99. ... because backslashes are escape characters in ISO C. ...
    (comp.lang.c)
  • Re: Using system and sed within awk
    ... You need to escape the ... but can't seem to get the quoting right: ... > I then escaped the double quotes with backslashes to preserve them: ... My code in this post is copyright 2005, Chris F.A. Johnson ...
    (comp.unix.shell)