Re: confused with BASH shell in Redhat

From: /dev/rob0 (rob0_at_gmx.co.uk)
Date: 08/22/03

Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 06:33:10 -0700

[comp.unix.shell, which I do not read, added, followup-to set there]
In article <bi50pu$1pm6$2@mail.cn99.com>, Ka wrote:
> I am confused with Bash, why ?

All that crossposting, yet you somehow missed comp.unix.shell. Why?

Try this:
    http://www.google.com/search?as_q=bash+tutorial&as_oq=beginner+newbie+starting

> I am now confused with bash even I have played with it very well~~~
> what is wrong ??

You didn't play as well as you thought. :)

Despite being way off topic (in c.o.l.networking, where I read it) I'll
give you your answer.
    rob0@obrien:~$ mkdir '\-=New Game=\-'
    rob0@obrien:~$ echo "$_"
    \-=New Game=\-
    rob0@obrien:~$ cd "$_"
    rob0@obrien:~/\-=New Game=\-$ cd
    rob0@obrien:~$ rmdir "$_"
    rob0@obrien:~$ echo 'good riddance to non-standard filename characters!'

The problem is that the backslashes themselves either need another
backslash (escape), or quoting. Notice the use of escapes and quoting
above: single- and double-quotes act differently.

--
  /dev/rob0 - preferred_email=i$((28*28+28))@softhome.net
  or put "not-spam" or "/dev/rob0" in Subject header to reply