Re: Reccomended Distro

From: Mistercmk (newsgroups_at_mistercmk.servehttp.com)
Date: 08/27/03

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 02:14:14 GMT

"Billy Watt" <billywatt@dontspammebtinternet.com> wrote in message
news:bih3qt$ipi$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
> In news:SZS2b.203245$cF.66355@rwcrnsc53,
> Mistercmk <newsgroups@mistercmk.servehttp.com> rambled:
> > Can anyone recomend a distro of linux that I can install on my
> > A7N8X-Deluxe motherboard that will support either the Nforce, or 3Com
> > onboard ethernet adapters. I don't need any desktop managers, just
> > text based. I want to use this to crunch Seti@Home workunits instead
> > of using Windows. Linux gets me better processing times from the
> > command prompt. Currently I am using FreeSCO that was made into a
> > cruncher, but I want to be able to boot from the hard drive, and not
> > have to have an extra ethernet card in the box. Thanks
>
> I'd say Slackware.
>
> NForce support may require a kernel patch but that's a kernel thing
relevant
> to all distros, not just Slack. úCom cards are well supported and that
> should work "out of the box".

Thanks for the reply. How would I go about patching the kernel? I have a
basic understanging of linux, but I am not sure that I can patch the kernel
without some help. Thanks

Relevant Pages

  • Re: [opensuse] legalities
    ... It isn't the kernel that is the problem, ... support software, multimedia, graphics, word processing, ad nausium, ... Linux, as is Debian, or whatever distro you happen to like. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: No new posts...did you all get wiped out with the new windows worm?
    ... I think of "Linux kernel, ... the same way I think of "Windows kernel, Windows distro". ...
    (misc.news.internet.discuss)
  • Re: Linux distro request
    ... I've also been looking for a GCC development Linux distro that has: ... (Poorly setup /etc/fstab preventing unmounting the booted device is a ... a 1.2 kernel which would conflict with your number 5. ...
    (alt.lang.asm)
  • Re: Simplifying the Linux system architecture
    ... kernel, libc, kmod, an init system, a device manager, D-Bus, coreutils, ... Linux distro). ... the Linux system does not need to install drivers for hardware I will ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Linux Vulnerable... BBBWWWWAAAAA HHHHHAAAAAA HAAAAA HAAAA
    ... (I know the definition of 'linux' can be as ... >> narrow as the kernel and as broad as 'everything in a distribution'; ... > come from the compilers of the distro; the majority of that is GNU ... >> it's partly 'technical inferior' in the way that a distribution of ...
    (comp.os.linux.security)