Optimize Booting

From: Eternally (m_at_r.com)
Date: 08/31/03

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 20:28:02 GMT

Hi folks,

I'm building a Linux Car MP3 player on an old P100 with 32 mb of ram. I've
got a debian distro on there, and got it to the point where it boots into a
command prompt. However, booting is kind of slow as it is loading a bunch
of services which I'm sure I don't need. For instance, it's loading up USB
and PS/2 support, when I don't have USB or PS/2 ports on the machine. And
it's checking for new hardware, which isn't necessary for me in this case.
Plus, I think it's loading a few servers.

How do I change the boot process so that it's lean and mean. All I want it
to do is bring me to a command prompt and have the ability to run mpg123 to
play mp3's and also send commands to the parallel port (through a program
which I will write). Security is not a concern. I just want lean and mean.
As quick of a boot as possible.

How do I set this up?

Thanks in advance!

Relevant Pages

  • Re: very puzzling!!
    ... and after the command prompt ... So I did last known good configuration at boot. ... WinXP Pro inc Sp2 ... Also, UBCD4Win should come with some antivirus capability, perhaps ...
  • Sasser question
    ... Update:Safe boot with command prompt also fails within ... >>If your computer resets before accessing Windows ... >>to your BIOS manual to determine how to boot into safe ...
    (microsoft.public.security)
  • Re: how to boot an os image on a cepc from a hard disk drive
    ... the menu 'Boot CE/PC ' and your image should be loaded. ... command prompt and take a look at the /L: ... I would like to stor NK.bin in the hard disk so ... > "Oliver Münchow" ha scritto nel messaggio ...
  • Re: can you do a reg restore from a command prompt?
    ... Why can't you boot to normal mode? ... > hmmm,well when i tried to boot to safe w/ command prompt, i still got the ... >> That edit has nothing to do with your mouse and keyboard. ... >>>i edited some high and low filters from my reg trying to get xp home to ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: Optimize Booting
    ... > got a debian distro on there, and got it to the point where it boots into ... booting is kind of slow as it is loading a bunch ... > How do I change the boot process so that it's lean and mean. ... > to do is bring me to a command prompt and have the ability to run mpg123 ...
    (alt.os.linux)